Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best of breed: Win10's hybrid backup system

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

Win10 blends the best parts of Win7's and Win8's backup/restore tools to create a new hybrid that could well be the best archive-and-recover system ever. When set up properly, Win10 gives you redundant, automatic, local, and remote backups of user files, making them effectively loss-proof.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/best-of-breed-win10s-hybrid-backup-system (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best of breed: Win10's hybrid backup system

Awesome detailing of Win10's backup feastures... thanks Mike.
    Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

Win10 blends the best parts of Win7's and Win8's backup/restore tools to create a new hybrid that could well be the best archive-and-recover system ever. When set up properly, Win10 gives you redundant, automatic, local, and remote backups of user files, making them effectively loss-proof.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/best-of-breed-win10s-hybrid-backup-system (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

what about arbitrary Restore?

What if you just want to Restore arbitrarily? You list the method to restore from a boot disk after some emergency but what if you just want to put the confuser back to the way it was in your last backup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Here is some info for you.

The Volume Shadow Copy Service ("VSS") in Windows 10 is, per Level 2 Microsoft Tech Support, broken and the last stable version was Windows 7.

I use Shadow Protect Desktop for image backups and it kept failing in Windows 10 despite being rock solid in Windows 7. I even tried Acronis and it too failed. At that point I did troubleshooting and read more than I ever wanted to know about VSS and its errors. Microsoft Level 1 told me it was the fault of 3rd party software, which was to be expected. I told them they were wrong because even in a fresh installation of Windows 10 the Command Prompt (Admin) of VSS LIST WRITERS would unexpectedly fail, locking up and not proceeding.

I paid the $149.00 for Level 2 and spent over 24 hours this past weekend working with Level 2 techs to find what was causing the system to fail. Finally one tech found that VSS has not been stable since Windows 7, apologized, refunded my money and suggested I wait for a fix to VSS at some point in the future. He also said I was the first fully documented case of this problem. I said OK and took the refund.

A few days later another Level 2 tech called because apparently multiple case numbers had been opened. I told him the money had been refunded because the VSS problem was in Windows 10. He didn't believe me and did some research. He then came back on the phone and said I was correct and that his supervisor had heard of a second case like mine that very day and now there were two fully documented cases of the problem.

So why did I write this? Because some of your users may have issues with any image backups, if not any backups, occurring in Windows 10 if that program needs a functioning VSS.

YMMV.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    VSS works in W8/8.1 as well - just for the record.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It will work some of the time, but it isn't fully functional in 8/8.1 or 10 per Microsoft. VSS works sometimes for me. The best way for me to get it to work is to reboot right after a job was to start and let the job run before VSS becomes locked by some unknown issue. But as I said MS confirmed to me that there is now a second documented case with my issues and they were forwarding their info to the developers. To me that means it will possibly be addressed in SP1.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to john181818 For This Useful Post:

dvhirst (2015-10-15)

Thanks
    If I upgrade a machine from Win7 or Win8.1 to Win10 and later do a Refresh, what operating system will I end up with? I upgraded a Win8 machine to Win8.1 and later did a Refresh. It put the machine back to Win8!
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There will be no SP1. There may be specific targets for inclusion of substantial updates such as the code name Threshold 2 which is rumored to be in November. Microsoft has said they will release fixes and features when they are ready rather than wait for a "big bang".

Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

dvhirst (2015-10-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    @bmeachem

Should be Win10 if you use the built-in tools.

Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bmeacham (2015-10-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    If I upgrade a machine from Win7 or Win8.1 to Win10 and later do a Refresh, what operating system will I end up with?
    Win10. If you're not convinced think about this. After you have upgraded to Win10 -and verified that activation has worked (your license has been correctly record at MS servers)- do a Reset (NB. save data files first from ALL partitions!). Now when you do a Refresh what do you think you will end up with? Answer: there's nothing to go back to except Win10.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to musicrab For This Useful Post:

bmeacham (2015-10-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    There will be no SP1. There may be specific targets for inclusion of substantial updates such as the code name Threshold 2 which is rumored to be in November. Microsoft has said they will release fixes and features when they are ready rather than wait for a "big bang".

Joe
    I figure I have 6-8 months to wait and hope it can be less. I really like having my image backups actually happening in the background without errors or having to reboot each time just as the backup begins.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately with Windows 10 right now Microsoft isn't releasing information about what is being fixed when patches are released. So, you may have a difficult time telling when it is fixed. Microsoft has said they will provide that information to Enterprise customers but haven't done that yet. Perhaps if enough people yell they will alter the policy.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john181818 View Post
    It will work some of the time, but it isn't fully functional in 8/8.1 or 10 per Microsoft
    Please provide evidence of VSS not being fully functional.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Win10 system, Control Panel/System and Security/File History says, "For your security, some settings are managed by your system administrator." Fine, but I'm not in an office situation, I'm at home, one computer, and I set it up. "File History is off" and I cannot turn it on. What is going on? I don't HAVE s system administrator other than me, so why can't I turn File History on?

Same if I go to Update and Security on the Settings menu. Backup is off and I cannot turn it on, and it says, "Some settings are managed by your organization." ???!!! I don't HAVE an organization!

Any suggestions?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That is usually a Group Policy setting, which is just a registry change. See if this article helps.
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/06/h...he-easier-way/

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast