Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changes coming to the Windows Secrets newsletter

INTRODUCTION

Changes coming to the Windows Secrets newsletter

By Tracey Capen

In the Oct. 1 issue, I noted that Windows Secrets subscribers will see changes in the newsletter. Here's what we're working on.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/introduction/changes-coming-to-the-windows-secrets-newsletter/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    One reason I haven't subscribed is that it's in dollars. Are there any plans to offer subs in other currencies? Pounds and Australian dollars would be good, probably others as well.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Isn't that what credit cards are for?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I subscribe in dollars, and my credit card does a conversion at a good rate, and adds 2% (I think) for their fee.

When I buy something at amazon.com (rather than Amazon.co.UK) I do the same - I worked out once that it was cheaper that way than paying in UKP and letting Amazon do the conversion.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

bem (2015-10-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Am a life time subscriber and Don't like the plans for the revised news letter.
    I HATE road rallies where I have to chase after articles.
    Give me the whole thing in one convenient location, that I can "download" for off line viewing.
    Not looking forward to this. don't see it as an improvement, more of a time waster.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WMRG For This Useful Post:

bem (2015-10-15),rbailin (2015-10-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    As requested I sent an e-mail to editor@windowssecrets.com. This is what it said:

I'd really like you to reconsider the decision not to put the full stories in the e-mail newsletter. One of the best things about it at the moment is that I can read it off-line. By not putting the full story in the newsletter you are reducing its usefulness so I would be pleased if you are able to change your mind about that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Humbug For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-10-21),rbailin (2015-10-20),redville (2015-10-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be nice to have a few options. Some folks like the all in one approach. Those are the folks that will be highly dissatisfied with the updates. Folks like me don't mind clicking but still would rather see all in one email. Other folks might be fine with the new format; those using smartphones probably for sure. Still to cater to all needs might make for a complicated editing job and probably cannot be automated easily. We shall see how this works. Will withhold final judgement until I get a taste.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    One reason I haven't subscribed is that it's in dollars. Are there any plans to offer subs in other currencies? Pounds and Australian dollars would be good, probably others as well.
    You could try the XE Personal Currency Assistant. Just add a bookmark to your bookmark bar with the URL http://www.xe.com/pca.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

bem (2015-10-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I greatly prefer all articles in an email. I doubt I would continue subscribing if I have to go to a web site to read it.
    Web based sites do nothing but serve ads, which often contain bandwidth hogging video, pop ups that block the article, and most annoying of all, videos with sound that automatically start playing.
    Yes, I know you need ads to make money, but there may be a market for those of us who would be willing to pay to keep the email format.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dalejanus For This Useful Post:

bem (2015-10-15),oldITguy (2015-10-31),rbailin (2015-10-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure what to make of these forthcoming changes, but I also far prefer a single emailed newsletter with everything in it. My subs come up for renewal next month, I am seriously considering dropping Windows Secrets. Since the launch of Windows 10 the focus of the newsletter is very much biased towards that and being unlikely to update to W10 in the near future there is very little of interest in it for me nowadays. Changes in the editorial team over the years has also moved it away from a prime source of information to just another ezine among all the other similar forums (largely free) and it in my view is no longer a 'must have'. These format changes are probably the last straw.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alas, Babylon....I shall miss you.

Wish you the best as you build your business. That's what 'community' is all about, right? Mo' money?

Enjoy.

bem

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bem For This Useful Post:

Sav (2015-10-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too much prefer to have the whole articles in the newsletter.

Moreover, much of what Windows Secrets is about has to do with security, and I'm surprised in that context that you would consider it acceptable (let alone an improvement) to require people to click on links in an email in order to access website-based articles. I imagine there have been articles in the past expressly recommending people not to do just that no matter how trustworthy the apparent sender may be! I do think that aspect of your plans alone merits a rethink.

Is it a good thing to deny non-subscribers any access at all to your newsletter? That must clearly be a business decision for you alone, but I wonder how many subscribers based their decision to subscribe on the quality of what they had seen for free?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    R.I.P Windows Secrets, once one of the best sources of Windows information on the Net. It's been going downhill since Brian left, only Susan and Fred are worth reading now. Instead of monetizing and asset stripping it, just give it a decent burial.

Thanks
    I have been a paid subscriber for many many years and I also would like to see the current version of the newsletter stay intact, including the full articles, mainly for the convenience of downloading them to read offline.
    I have newsletters downloaded from clear back to XP's beginnings.
    I remember when Brian started this newsletter and I started as a free subscriber and moved to paid subscriber because of the information value to me.
    Hopefully you will rethink the changes you are proposing.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

oldITguy (2015-10-31),rbailin (2015-10-20),redville (2015-10-26)

Thanks

100% agree with this Quote

Quote Originally Posted by davews View Post
    I am not sure what to make of these forthcoming changes, but I also far prefer a single emailed newsletter with everything in it. My subs come up for renewal next month, I am seriously considering dropping Windows Secrets. Since the launch of Windows 10 the focus of the newsletter is very much biased towards that and being unlikely to update to W10 in the near future there is very little of interest in it for me nowadays. Changes in the editorial team over the years has also moved it away from a prime source of information to just another ezine among all the other similar forums (largely free) and it in my view is no longer a 'must have'. These format changes are probably the last straw.
    Davews quote is word for word as though I had written it. I feel the same way. I miss old Editors. Susan is the only reason I am still with Windows Secrets. I will not upgrade to Windows 10. etc.!!!!
    Last edited by GiddyUpGo; 2015-10-15 at 13:09.
    GiddyUpGo "Don't look back. That is not the direction you are going!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyUpGo For This Useful Post:

oldITguy (2015-10-31)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast