Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forced upgrade to Windows 10

Yesterday I went on-line for the usual Windows update. On my desktop (Win 7 home 64) I found 14 important updates and installed them. On my ThinkPad Win 7 Pro 64) Windows Update came up with "Upgrade to Windows 10" as the only offer. I clicked on "Show all available updates" and found 12 updates and no 'Upgrade to Win 10'. I selected them all, clicked on 'OK' but nothing happens.

I rebooted Windows and it came up with the usual "Check for Updates" and then went off for a long search and came back with "Upgrade to Windows 10"! I again clicked on "Show all available updates", selected all 12 and clicked on 'OK'. Nothing happens and I am back at the "Upgrade to Windows 10" and "Get started now".

Following Fred Langa's advice of 25/9 I looked for and found C:\$Windows-BT but it is only 140MB in size and I have had Automatic Updates turned off since I purchased the notebook years ago.

It seems I am unable to apply security updates to this machine unless I upgrade to Win 10. Has Microsoft dropped support for Win 7? Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone suggest a way around it?

Here's hoping!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No, Windows 7 is still supported.
    First you need to turn off the W10 upgrade. Load GWC Control Panel and turn off the upgrade.
    Now re-boot and try the updates again.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should still be able to download/install the Win 7 ones - I was.

See what the trouble shooter makes of it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    No, Windows 7 is still supported.
    First you need to turn off the W10 upgrade. Load GWC Control Panel and turn off the upgrade.
    Now re-boot and try the updates again.

cheers, Paul
    I had already run GWC but had not restarted Windows. I have now done this and it has not changed anything.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have turned off the system upgrade option in GWC CP?
    Is it still wanting to upgrade to W10?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops! I missed that option and merely got rid of the reminder icon. Have done as suggested and am now downloading 9 updates.

Many thanks for your help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glad to know it worked - we can't test everything.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having the same problem. I followed Paul T's advice to use the GWC Control Panel. I had already inserted a registry key that eliminated the icon. This time I selected to stop the windows update install. Now when I get to Windows Update, I get the regular updates, and many of them are selected. However, after I chose the ones I wanted to install, and clicked to go ahead. However, now instead of the message that it is downloading selected updates, I got a message that it was downloading the Windows 10 update again. I suppose it could just be the message, but I canceled because I don't want Windows 10. Any suggestions? This is really outrageous.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I uninstalled KB(3035583), the win 10 icon was removed from the system tray. I then marked all upgrades and installed. The Win 10 update failed and all my security upgrades were installed

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    here's a far better on than uninstalling KB(3035583)

https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-...paign=21092015

Don't forget to backup the registry first.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still having the problem. After running GWC Control Panel, I seem to have Windows Updates back to normal. I can select the updates I want. However, when I click OK, it starts to download Win 10 update again. Apparently, Microsoft made some kind of mistake and checked the Update Win 10 to update. see http://arstechnica.com/information-t...s-7-8-systems/. However, it does not appear in the list of available updates, so you cannot turn it off. I don't want to try the update and hope Win 10 fails as apparently it did for tealover. I guess I will wait a few days to see if Microsoft fixes this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tealover View Post
    Hi Guys,
    here's a far better on than uninstalling KB(3035583)

https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-...paign=21092015

Don't forget to backup the registry first.
    That's 12 steps to do what GWX Control Panel (post #2) will do for you with a single click.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marklang View Post
    I got a message that it was downloading the Windows 10 update again. I suppose it could just be the message, but I canceled because I don't want Windows 10
    If it is loading W10 it's chewing up your download limit - assuming you have one, I do.
    I haven't seen a fix for this one, maybe you just have to let the download finish, or remove all the updates that are mid download.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    That's 12 steps to do what GWX Control Panel (post #2) will do for you with a single click.
    Perhaps not anymore http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...er-no-opt-out/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    My statement is still true.

If it's not used early enough, then it can't undo the damage:

WILL GWX STOPPER PREVENT MICROSOFT FROM UPGRADING MY COMPUTER TO WINDOWS 10?
    Yes
    , it appears to- if you use it early enough! (See the next couple of questions for more info.)

WINDOWS IS ONLY GIVING ME THE OPTIONS OF RESCHEDULING OR IMMEDIATELY STARTING THE WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE: WILL GWX CONTROL PANEL HELP ME?
    At this time, no. Specifically, if you are seeing either of the following screens, it means that Microsoft has pushed your PC into a state that GWX Control Panel currently is not able to reverse:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-10-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast