New Lounger
    Thanks

Grabbing Windows 10 patches for offline install

Hello all!

I have been wrestling with this for a week or two and was hoping for some fresh eyes.

I have upgraded a Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10. Since the update I have not been able to download Windows Updates. I get as far as seeing what updates I need but I stay at downloading at 0% for hours on end with no progress.

Is it possible (I can't seem to find them anywhere!) to download the individual patches for Windows and run them locally on the machine like regular installs? My theory is that if I can get it patched I may be able to "wake up" the computer to then get patches normally.

Anyone have ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The entire update and patching system has been changed, and not necessarily for the better. I have yet to completely follow what they are doing, but the old process of getting a list of patches that you could accept or reject is gone. Because of this, I'm not sure how you would determine what you need to download - if you can even do that.

It would seem like there has to be a way to do this with an Enterprise system, but that may not be available to us mere mortals.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some more details that may help:
    - This is a work PC using Win10 Enterprise
    - I am able to see the list of updates it wants to download
    - When I search on the KB numbers I can see the page explaining the updates but I am unable to actually find a link to download the patch. That is what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks
    Its not what you want but this is the link for previous versions. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=48704

Juust to show how they used to do it.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If you have the KB #s you could try MS Update catalog http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx , you will have to use Internet Explorer to get it to work. I haven't tried it for Win 10 since my computer seems to receive the updates fine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejandron View Post
    I get as far as seeing what updates I need but I stay at downloading at 0% for hours on end with no progress.
    Try the troubleshooter at Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Fix problems with Windows Update; and/or download and run the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try the troubleshooter at Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Fix problems with Windows Update; and/or download and run the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter.
    Thanks Bruce. I tried that and the other popular trick of stopping the services and deleting some of the SoftwareDistribution sub folders. This issue has been particularly stubborn...