Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Connect two PCs to Internet?

Hi,
    I have 1 Pc (Win 7), connected to Inet via a TP-Link ADSL2 router. What have I do to connect other PC (also Win 7) via dial-up modem with this one and acces to Inet?
    TIA.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why do you want to use a dial up modem? Why not just connect to your existing router?
    Does the router only have 1 port? If so you can use your main PC to share that connection, but you could just use a network switch to join both computers to the router.
    What model router?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The second PC is at another place, about 5 kilometers away
    Cheers, Jorge

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hijasgal View Post
    The second PC is at another place, about 5 kilometers away
    Cheers, Jorge
    The Internet is also known as the WAN/Wide Area Network.
    5 km is about 3 miles, too far for most types of networking and Internet connection sharing, would be best for the second location to have its own ISP account. Ethernet connecting to a Router has a limit of 100 M [300ft] but repeaters can be used to lengthen that with limits being where to locate the repeaters and the cost. There is a possibility of setting up a two-way radio system but that's line-of-sight, many interferences from building, trees, hill, etc., and could be much more costly than an ISP account.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-15 at 12:02.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use the built-in Internet Connection Service but I don't think that will allow you to share via a modem, only cable / wireless.
    Remote dial up is available in Windows Server and is used for remote connection to a server session.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will try using ICS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be confused... but you want to 'share' 2 PC's over the internet..? If so, the you will need to use some sort of VPN. Pertino works pretty well for that and is free for up to 3 PC's.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The OP is in Cuba so I expect internet access is limited, thus the requirement for dial up access to a machine that already has access. A VPN is not really part of the solution here.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree. I think one of the PCs will need to be set up as a server. [It takes me back to the pre-Internet bulletin board days. Not quite the same but....] I know XP Pro could be set up as a small home server. Don't know if that continued in Win7 Pro. PaulT?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The stated distance between the physical locations of 5KM is an issue and can be done over Internet connections [need one for each computer] but probably would need to have Static IP addressing provided by the ISP/s.

The dialing into one computer from another may be possible if the second computer also has a dial-up modem and is set to answer the phone then the ICS/Internet Connection Sharing should be usable..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-24)

Thanks
    How about Remote Desktop or Windows Desktop Sharing??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    How about Remote Desktop or Windows Desktop Sharing??

How would that provide the second PC with internet access?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-24 at 10:54.

jwoods
    Paul T is correct...ICS will not work using a dial-up connection from the client computer...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

You might also take a look at TeamViewer Telework...it doesn't say specifically that you can remote an Internet connection, but it's free and worth a try...

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/3...r-via-Telework
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-24 at 17:44.

Thanks
    If the machine on the internet hosts the RDP session the remote computer can use the desktop on the host to access the internet. Maybe not pretty and dial in will slow stuff to a crawl, but it seems like an option. Am I missing something? Not unlikely. As for Windows Desktop Sharing I have zero familiarity with it, but came to my attention while getting vocabulary right for Remote Desktop.

Edit

The restore auto saved thingy just worked for me, Thanks again to whoever post the info on that!!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hijasgal View Post
    Hi,
    I have 1 Pc (Win 7), connected to Inet via a TP-Link ADSL2 router. What have I do to connect other PC (also Win 7) via dial-up modem with this one and acces to Inet?
    TIA.
    The original post still has me scratching my head and upon a few re-readings have come to the conclusion the desire is to connect to a second computer to enable using only one Internet connection, one account, not have to pay for anything additional. If that is truly the case the distance given in a later post of "The second PC is at another place, about 5 kilometers away" will pretty much prevent that at any reasonable cost, that is, less than having a second subscription to an ISP. 5KM is a bit over 3 Miles, or 5400 Yards or 16,000+ Feet.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-25 at 13:46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast