Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation How MS will attempt to make money from the "free" Windows 10

From SlashDot:

Microsoft Now Uses Windows 10's Start Menu To Display Ads

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/10/15/1422256/microsoft-now-uses-windows-10s-start-menu-to-display-ads

From the post:

Of course, Microsoft is not describing them as ads; 'Suggested apps' has a much more approachable and fluffy feel to it. Maybe. This is a 'feature' that's currently only being shown to Windows Insiders, but it could spread to everyone else. Will it be well-received?

Thanks
    You're more likely to get the "ads" from the freebee store apps installed and left "live" on the integrated start menu.
    Though I have yet to see any in my experimenting with installing various Weather apps.

Windows 10 is not free. If for whatever reason you are not upgrading in the timeframe specified,
    then you will be paying for it one way or another, either through a computer purchase or a custom build.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Windows 10 TP system, build 10240, I am getting ads (or gentle persuasion as some might call it) for Office 365.

I have Office 2007 installed on this system. This is NOT a freebee store ap. Thus, MS is attempting to generate a revenue producing stream from aspects of Win10, recognizing that I have Office installed. And of course, we all expected they would. However, some on these forums poo-poo that as normal. Unfortunately, as soon as the marketing forces recognize this as a way to defeat browser ad-blockers, using Windows 10 could become a difficult situation for a big segment of the customer population (and make money for MS but how long will that last?)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    From the original article:

On the plus side, it is possible to switch off the feature -- just right click the suggestion and you can opt to hide a particular app, or disable all future suggestions.

You can also opt out of suggestions by heading to Settings > Personalization > Start and toggle the Occasionally show suggestions in Start setting.

Microsoft now uses Windows 10's Start menu to display ads

Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    On my Windows 10 TP system, build 10240, I am getting ads (or gentle persuasion as some might call it) for Office 365.
    Try uninstalling the Get Office app from All apps (right-click, Uninstall).