Lounger
    Thanks

Utility software to record what is running on your computer.

Before we had Watson as par to XP, now I don't know hwat we have if anything. I am looking for a program that keeps a history of what is going on in your computer. For example, I have scheduled backups to run at 0100 (1am) 3 nights a week. However, when I look at the files produced, I see that they didn't backup until 0345 or thereabouts. Something is running that affects the start of my backup program and thus the program waits until it is done until it starts. I'd like to find out what is going on around 0100 in the early morning and staying up to check Task Manager is not an option. Thanks for your help!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Event Viewer usually list that stuff under Applications.
    Is your computer running at 01:00 or does something start it at 03:45 - it's a very precise time.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-18)

Thanks
    If it's not you then it's most likely a 'scheduled task' set to run at 0100.

Try this:
    1. Click on Start.
    2. Type cmd in the Search programs and files text entry box.
    3. When cmd.exe appears as a result, right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    4. When the commandline dialog appears, type schtasks /query > c:\tasks.txt then press the Enter key.
    5. Go to Start > Computer > Local Disk (C: ) and double-click on the tasks.txt file.

The file will open in Notepad and show you a simple list of scheduled tasks, including the next times they are going to run.

If you want a list with more detailed information, enter schtasks /query /v /fo LIST > c:\tasks.txt at step 4 instead.

If you want a list you can sort as a spreadsheet, enter schtasks /query /v /fo CSV > c:\tasks.csv at step 4 instead.

Alternatively, if you would prefer a graphical utility and don't mind running a free third-party utility, have a look at Nir Sofer's TaskSchedulerView and sort on the Next Run column.

For example, on my main Windows 7 PC I see that there are 3 default Microsoft scheduled tasks set to run at 0100. YMMV.
    taskschedulerview.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-10-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This won't be a perfect suggestion... but here goes. You could try using the TaskList command. Here's what I have in mind.

Using the Windows Scheduler, you could set up jobs at intervals of an hour or so, thus at 1 am, 2, 3 and 3:45. You will be sampling the activity on your computer at those times.

The job should be something like this:

TaskList /v > Tasks_At_1am.Txt
    The file name should change appropriately on each task entry of course (if you don't the output of each run replaces the last). There are ways to change this but I suggest keeping things simple for now.

Then the next day you can review the files produced and find out exactly what was running. You can use NotePad or Excel to view the files.

The hard part will be determining what was stopping/delaying the backup. The output of TaskList doesn't make this easy. You will have to use your sleuthing skills to figure out the "blocking" activity, both what and why.

Lounger
    Thanks
    No auto starts, I leave it on when I quit for the day.

jwoods
    I would suggest trying Process Monitor from Sysinternals.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnals/bb896645

You can fire that up, keep it running, and filter by several different criteria, such as date and time.