5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need correct method for 8.1 system image backup

I want to create system image backups on 2 Windows 8.1 computers
    --- One of the computers was originally Windows 8 and I upgraded it to 8.1 in May and it runs excellently
    --- The other Windows 8.1 was purchased in 2014
    --- Those 2 computers belong to elderly people at our senior center and Iíd like to see them have something as simple and straightforward as possible

I reviewed some methods to do the system image backups and started with
    How to create and restore system image backups on Windows 8.1
    http://www.howtogeek.com/167984/how-...n-windows-8.1/
    I can follow the instructions but Iíd like to find a more natural system

Here are my concerns:
    On the Windows 8.1 that has been upgraded from Windows 8, I donít want to have it revert back to Windows 8 if system image needs to be restored
    On the Windows 8.1 that was purchased in 2014, I noticed that it has a Windows 8.1 backup and restore app: should I go with is?

How do I ensure I will have Windows 8.1 installation media, a recovery drive and/or a system repair disc?
    I also found but havenít read it yet: How Windows 8ís Backup System Differs from Windows 7ís
    http://www.howtogeek.com/123713/how-...om-windows-7s/
    --- It looks like it includes a File History system

Well, maybe my questions are about as clear as mud, but Iíd like some decent recommendations that apply to each one of those computers: hopefully to both computers. I donít mind reading applicable instructions but there are so many different ones I donít know which ones I have confidence in yet.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The biggest problem with backup is finding a suitable medium for the backup files. After that it doesn't matter what mechanism you use - I prefer 3rd party backup apps.

What backup medium would work for those users?
    Who is going to do the backup or do you want it automated?
    Recovery is down to testing your solution. This is now more difficult if you have more than one computer and a mix of UEFI and BIOS. What are the computers you are backing up?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-10-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are reading my mind Paul.
    I also prefer 3rd party backups and I use Macrium Reflect on my home computer.
    However I was hoping that Windows 8.1 would accommodate a standard system image backup like Windows 7 does

They have external hard drives but don't know how to use them
    I will create the backups if they are willing to accept Macrium Reflect
    --- Not automated.
    --- I like to create system image backups once I get a troubled computer back in top shape
    --- I know how to test a backup as I have done so on my computer so I'll know it does work if I ever need it
    The Windows 8.1 that was purchased in 2014 has UEFI
    The Windows 8 that was upgraded to 8.1 has the standard BIOS

I'll be ok though: if they don't want to agree to Macrium Reflect I'll just let it go.
    --- I know they'll complain when they receive requests from MR to upgrade to the paid version and I'll probably never hear the end of it: I know from prior experience

Thanks for your feedback

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    These articles have a good overview of using Windows 8's backup called File History.
    Image: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...m-image-backup
    Files: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-file-history/

UEFI machines require a UEFI bootable CD/USB and BIOS MBR boot, unless you spend some time mucking around with the UEFI box to get it to boot MBR. I have a USB stick that does both - not quite ready for prime time, stay tuned.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-10-17 at 06:23.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-10-17)