3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows 10 Error 0x80004005

I have a problem in my Dell laptop now running on 32-bit Windows 10 Home. I had no trouble upgrading to Windows 10, but now I’ve recently noticed an update that appears “stuck” in the update queue showing the following error:
    Cumulative update for Windows 10 (KB3097617) – Error 0x80004005
    What can I do about this? It indicates it will keep trying to install it, and it does appear to be trying to do just that, but whatever it is trying does not seem to be working. Any suggestions out there for a NON-technical user who is beginning to worry about this? Please help me.

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the KB on my Desktop [Custom build] on 10/13/2015 and doesn't seem to be a problem, will check my Notebooks over the weekend. More about it:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...s-494503.shtml
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097617

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, Thanks for the quick reply. The download doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon (unfortunately) so there is no hurry, but given my notable lack of patience :-) I will be watching for your reply. FWIW, I've been reading about this online, and there are several supposed solutions that I have found, but none specifically addressed it in Windows 10 so my paranoia told me not to try it. One of them even said "the manual fix is ONLY recommended for experts" and mentioned a downloadable tool to inst6all and automatically run to fix the error, but again it specifically mentioned Windows versions from Vista to 8.1, so I came here. Hoping to hear from you again whenever time and your circumstances allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I got the KB on my Desktop [Custom build] on 10/13/2015 and doesn't seem to be a problem, will check my Notebooks over the weekend. More about it:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...s-494503.shtml
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097617

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Did you try disabling your AV and use the manual download link givin in Berton's first link?

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I see no suggestion to do so, just him saying he will "check my notebooks over the weekend" (and reply again afterwards. I am currently following advice on the update and letting them "keep trying" to update as it should be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Berton, Thanks for the quick reply. The download doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon (unfortunately) so there is no hurry, but given my notable lack of patience :-) I will be watching for your reply. FWIW, I've been reading about this online, and there are several supposed solutions that I have found, but none specifically addressed it in Windows 10 so my paranoia told me not to try it. One of them even said "the manual fix is ONLY recommended for experts" and mentioned a downloadable tool to inst6all and automatically run to fix the error, but again it specifically mentioned Windows versions from Vista to 8.1, so I came here. Hoping to hear from you again whenever time and your circumstances allow it.

David E. Cann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ decann
    A friend and I had similar experiences Friday morning. In my case it was a Windows 10 Pro 32-bit machine; my friend had his KB3097617 failure on his Win10 Pro 64-bit laptop (Sony).
    I have three other computers which had successfully installed the KB3097617 cumulative update on the 13th, and I didn't need this particular computer so I simply ignored it the rest of the day. Friday evening I returned to it and found that it was now showing that a restart had been scheduled for Saturday. I chose to restart immediately instead of waiting.
    After it rebooted I chose the Advanced options and viewed the update history. it shows that it has now installed successfully.
    So, I suspect that your computer will also succeed if you wait long enough (although I haven't spoken with my friend again, and don't know if his computer has applied KB3097617 yet).

Rock

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RockE, I think you might be right in my case. My particular machine is a 32-bit Dell laptop now running on Windows 10 Home, and after reading your reply this morning I turned the laptop on and checked the "stuck update." It was still there, but a short time later it "woke up" and installed the update as if there was never any problem in the first place. I don't know enough about the problem or Windows 10 to explain this, but it appears to this non-technical intermediate user that this is just something that we need to get used to with Windows 10. I had read something online saying some folks experienced the "endless reboot" issue with this that occurred early on when Win10 first released, and that had me concerned, but I never experienced it. It looks now like it has settled down once again, but I will sure be watching it closely for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    @ decann
    A friend and I had similar experiences Friday morning. In my case it was a Windows 10 Pro 32-bit machine; my friend had his KB3097617 failure on his Win10 Pro 64-bit laptop (Sony).
    I have three other computers which had successfully installed the KB3097617 cumulative update on the 13th, and I didn't need this particular computer so I simply ignored it the rest of the day. Friday evening I returned to it and found that it was now showing that a restart had been scheduled for Saturday. I chose to restart immediately instead of waiting.
    After it rebooted I chose the Advanced options and viewed the update history. it shows that it has now installed successfully.
    So, I suspect that your computer will also succeed if you wait long enough (although I haven't spoken with my friend again, and don't know if his computer has applied KB3097617 yet).

Rock

David E. Cann