New Lounger
    Thanks

Software or Script to make unlimited drive letters

I used to be able in a time far away to use drive BB as a drive letter choice. I'm aware it has been rendered obsolete.

My question is, have any of you seen or dabbled in this? For NAS email servers I see this as easier to secure this way.

Thanks!

Thanks
    I thought Windows 7 goes from A - Z, but no further. I'll be watching this thread
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffko View Post
    I used to be able in a time far away to use drive BB as a drive letter choice. I'm aware it has been rendered obsolete.

My question is, have any of you seen or dabbled in this? For NAS email servers I see this as easier to secure this way.

Thanks!
    Naturally Windows reserves drive A and B for floppy drives but maybe there's a way to use them for other partitions. Newer BIOSes no longer recognize those floppy drives so maybe Windows can use the lettering. I've kept a WinXP computer simply for that reason, has a combination 3.5" and 5.25" Epson drive in it plus a Zip 250 drive.

By default Windows assigns letters to NAS drives beginning with Z: and working back up the alphabet [I have Z: and Y:]. I found a page by Ask-Leo that suggests a possible solution to your question:
    http://ask-leo.com/26_drives_is_ther...n_windows.html
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-16 at 21:53.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For NAS email servers I see this as easier to secure this way
    What is going to be more secure about using that?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Naturally Windows reserves drive A and B for floppy drives but maybe there's a way to use them for other partitions.
    Once upon a time, a long time ago, under NT4 we used to use drive letters A and B for mappings to server shares, because we had to map different shares between different departments, and had run out of the usual E-Z letters...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What is going to be more secure about using that?

cheers, Paul
    One of my sites I manage is for a over the hill rock star, another is for a CNA testing site, for example. I don't want their emails on the same drive, if one gets injected, I want it to stay on the drive belonging to one entity, not affect all the sites I manage...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton, that is my current option I use, but it has been unfriendly at times...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton, that is my current option I use, but it has been unfriendly at times...
    You're welcome. Too bad fuzzy logic isn't yet available so the computers could understand what we really want them to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Berton,

Too bad fuzzy logic isn't yet available
    You're kidding of course! We see fuzzy logic in the Lounge all the time.
    ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    One of my sites I manage is for a over the hill rock star, another is for a CNA testing site, for example. I don't want their emails on the same drive, if one gets injected, I want it to stay on the drive belonging to one entity, not affect all the sites I manage...
    Please explain exactly how separating the emails by drive letters will help you. And also explain how "if one gets injected" having that email stored on a particular drive will help.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you want to keep mail separate you need separate accounts.
    If you have decent AV software and take precautions with files included in mail you won't have a problem. And backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hummmm, perhaps protection from illiterate hackers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been at this since the early days of DOS and don't recall ever being able to do this.

A lot of programs that used to require the use of drive letters can now use a UNC Path. This would remove the 26 letter limit.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a method to attach an external share as a folder onto an NTFS volume. Since most local hard drives are NTFS volumes these days this could be viable and would bypass the usual drive letter limitations:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc753321.aspx

Note that this is a very Unix/Linux type of solution. In Unix you really don't ever connect to shares by a letter. Instead you have a file folder hierarchy and you add external data sources as virtual subfolders.

The key requirement is that the folder be empty locally. Files can only come from the remote source at your mount point.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Note that this is a very Unix/Linux type of solution.
    Well, drive letters are a leftover from DOS days and it's remarkable that they have persisted as long as they have. If it hadn't been for the fact that they are extremely handy, they probably would have gone the way of the DOS prompt. Oh, wait, that's still around too, isn't it?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)