New Lounger
    Thanks

Cortana Stops Working

I have upgraded my Acer desk-unit from win 7 to win 8.1 to 10. Everything appears o work fine except for Cortana. Upon start-up or reboot Cortana works properly but after n hour or so it stops responding. I must either reboot or go into Task manager and "End Process" for Cortana. It then will operate properly for an hour or so before it fails again. Any ideas as to what it causing this and/or what I can do?

Thanks
    She is still a work in progress. I do not know what build you are on, but all builds are different. She works better on some than others. I think she worked best on build 10547.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Build Number

Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    She is still a work in progress. I do not know what build you are on, but all builds are different. She works better on some than others. I think she worked best on build 10547.
    I checked the Register and found out I have Current Build 10240 on my laptop and cortana works properly on it. Unfortunately I won't be home for a few more weeks to check the build on my desk unit. If it is an older one than 10547, how do I go about getting the correct build and installing same?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Build 10240 is the July 29th release. Unless you are part of the Windows Insider program to test Windows 10 you will not have access to any other builds yet. There have been fairly regular cumulative updates released for Windows 10 build 10240. The next public release is supposed to be in November. If you want to participate in the Insider program go to Windows Insider Program. Be aware that each Insider build has an expiration date so you need to keep installing builds or revert to the last public release.

As far as Cortana goes have you check the System Event Log?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

System Event Log

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Build 10240 is the July 29th release. Unless you are part of the Windows Insider program to test Windows 10 you will not have access to any other builds yet. There have been fairly regular cumulative updates released for Windows 10 build 10240. The next public release is supposed to be in November. If you want to participate in the Insider program go to Windows Insider Program. Be aware that each Insider build has an expiration date so you need to keep installing builds or revert to the last public release.

As far as Cortana goes have you check the System Event Log?

Joe
    Joel, I will need to do this when I get back home on November 1st. Is the "System Event Log" the same as "Event Viewer" that I find when I right click on Start. If so what exactly do I look for?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Look for error entries pertaining to Cortana. There may be more detail about what is going wrong.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Look for error entries pertaining to Cortana. There may be more detail about what is going wrong.

Joe
    I will look at the Events Log when i get home November 1st. Thanks for the help so far.