New Lounger
    Thanks

ms excel or open office spreadsheet

Hi, guys! What is better to use, Microsoft Excel or Open Office Spreadsheet? Is there a big difference between these two esp with the formulas? If I want to convert an existing MS Excel file to Open Office, will the computation or formula change? Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just opened a simple .xls file in LibreOffice 5 Calc, seems to be no problem. More complex calculations may stumble but, like OpenOffice, LibreOffice is free while Excel is not. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are quite similar but I prefer LibreOffice due to support for the older Works files.
    www.libreoffice.org

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I only use LibreOffice and have not had any major problems with XLS files - I even save as XLS. I did have a minor issue with a complex multi-sheet formula once, but not recently - since LO V4.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    flattwisted - Development of OpenOffice seems to have stalled since its move from Oracle to the Apache Foundation. I would suggest you compare Excel with LibreOffice (now at v5) instead.

Have a look at Development activity in LibreOffice and OpenOffice and the rather alarmist URGENT: get the hell off Apache OpenOffice, itís insecure and not worked on any more for more info.

I've used LibreOffice for years and think it has developed into a fine alternative to Excel. Be aware though that LibreOfiice (and OpenOffice) do not support VBA, i.e. the macro scripting language used within Excel (and Word, etc) to create automation. LibreOffice does have its own implementation of a macro scripting language but, in my opinion, it is far less useable than VBA.

(Some LibreOffice developers are actually trying to implement a VBA framework but this is only in its infancy and - so far - only working within the Linux version of LibreOffice.)

Hope this helps...