New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 software compatibility - How do I check?

I have 3 machines, all Win 7 Pro, x64. They are part of a small domain controlled by a Samba server.

Because they are members of the domain, they do not get the system tray icon that I can ask.
    But that seems to be the only way possible to get the information about whether my software is compatible, or will need to be reinstalled, or will be executed.

It has the various updates installed and it is regularly running the scheduled task that checks compatibility, but it refuses to tell me what it has found.

From hours scouring around the net, all the help from MS seems to be about where to find the option on the the tray icon menu, which os course it resolutely hides if you are on a domain.
    MS say that for domain-managed systems, the MAP toolkit is the way to go. No - having downloaded, installed and run that, all I get is a report on hardware compatibiity.

The annoying thing is that I was not even going to bother with the upgrade, until it appeared by mistake last week in my Windows Update offering.
    I disabled it in my 2 main machines, but the 3rd has very little other software installed so I thought it was worth a shot.
    And I was very pleasantly surprised.
    The update ran under my domain-admin login and, when win 10 came up, the PC was already rejoined to the domain and my old login was working as expected. One of my fears was from watching my son's efforts, which apparently required disconnecting from the domain, getting a Microsoft login in order to start it up again, and then rejoining the domain. This is the first new MS OS that I have seen that did not require either a new version of Samba and/or some registry jiggery-pokery to talk to the domain controller.

I can see the code under the GWX downloads folder that has html and javascript prepared to show all the compatibility results, but I cannot find the results themselves. And I cannot make the html files do anything other than sit there spinning their wheels.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't think your PCs are in a domain as they would not have loaded the W10 upgrade - according to MS.

As you have 30 days to roll back, why not just test the upgraded PC with all your software? And load GWX Control Panel on the others and turn off the upgrade.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    They are on a domain, and have been since they were born. I can see from the event logs that GWX is recognizing my machine as a domain member and disabling the UI. It runs these tests every time I log in. Even logging in as local admin does not help.

The fact that I saw the upgrade in the recent debacle is why I believe MS when they said it was a mistake to have it ticked by default. It was very soon removed completely from my optional updates.

I don't need GWX control panel, I want to see the GWX compatibility test results.

I have no interest in reinstalling everything or even half of everything on another machine. Apart from the tedium there also is the issue of not having multiple licences for some software. The only reason I would consider upgrading is if I did not need to reinstall much.

jwoods
    Another way to do it is to use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

Microsoft has said (in the past) that if it will run on Windows 8/8.1, it should run on Windows 10.

I personally didn't see any differences when I ran that, and GWX on my Win 7 systems.

YMMV
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-18 at 01:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Cameron (2015-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Another way to do it is to use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...
    Thanks. That provided some quite useful information.

There was apparently one major incompatibility, that I can test by trying to install on my Win-10 PC.