3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Massive SVCHOST CPU Usage - Win 7 SP1

I notice that SVCHOST is using a lot of CPU. attached screen shot from Process Explorer indicates 50% and lists some 15 services. I am not sure if any of these are a problem, but a the time I took this shot, no other applications were running. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

jwoods
    Windows Update was running at the time of the snapshot, so that's a possibility.

Nothing running inside that SVCHOST process looks out of the ordinary.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are quite correct, but I have windows update set to entirely manual, so all it could be doing is checking for updates?

Thanks
    Hi David.

It looks like MSE (MsMpEng.exe) is calling WU + BITS, probably checking for updated antimalware definitions. It's possible that you could tweak the update/check behaviour but I don't know by how much or whether it would just shift the impact to a different set of time slots.

How many CPU cores does the PC have, how much impact is/was this having on performance/responsiveness?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 cores, both equally hit. There is a definite impact on performance, and I think you suggestion about Malwarebytes is probably correct. I may try running for a day or two without it

Thanks
    Not Malwarebytes, that doesn't use WU/BITS for anything, MSE = Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender in W8x) seems to be the culprit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's interesting. How do you tell from the screen shot that MSE might be the problem?

Thanks
    MsMpEng.exe is running and WU/BITS are running, it's the next suspect in line as it regularly sends/receives chunks of data via WU/BITS; next in line might be a sneaky W10-related installed update... malware or an errant file loading from an 'uninstalled' or buggy 3rd party software.

I can safely disable WU/BITS until I run WU, you can't do that with MSE as it requires both to download new defs and to query the MS servers for file hash checks, etc.

A few minutes spent with Resource Manager should help you pin down what's happening with that PID, as well as checking it's Properties with Process Explorer's Performance and Disk and Network tabs.

Some of the data that can be displayed using PE, TaskMan and Resource Monitor below, using exactly the same svchost as yours - but mine is running leaner, only 6 Services attached to it:

PETMResmon.jpg

See also HTG's How to for the Sysinternals tools, it might help you find some more clues.