Lounger
    Thanks

What the !!!! KB2976978

Our Big Brother at Microsoft is alive and well it seems. I've just found that KB2976978 was pushed to my computer 10/13/2015 despite my update setting to "let me choose whether to download and install them". Further, Microsoft will not allow this update to be uninstalled!! Per the Woody on Windows column dated 10/6/15 - "KB 2976978, re-released for Windows 8.1 on Oct. 6, version 19. Still labeled a "Compatibility update for Windows 8.1," it's a scanning program. In June, I found the claimed connection with the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program to be tenuous, at best".

What irritates me so is that I've avoided this update (and other Windows 10 connected updates) since June of this year by hiding it and M'soft has pushed it on us more than once but now I've found that it's installed - period! My decision over ridden. Microsoft's claimed Windows CEIP provides it with data that I don't want the company to have. I don't care that I'm one PC in the vastness of the Microsoft world. It's the other billions and billions I also think about that Microsoft is scanning data from that feel as do I. Microsoft, stay out of my business!!

If you've had this so-called update pushed onto your computer and found a way to get rid of it I'd like to know how that's done. Otherwise, be advised.

jwoods
    "Further, Microsoft will not allow this update to be uninstalled!!"

A system restore point should have been created by Windows Update before it was installed.

Thanks
    This worked for me:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Copy/paste the following line then press the Enter key:
    start /w wusa /kb:2976978 /uninstall

After the hard disk thrashing stops, you should find KB2976978 has gone.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    "Further, Microsoft will not allow this update to be uninstalled!!"

A system restore point should have been created by Windows Update before it was installed.
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I did check for that. No restore point was created.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    This worked for me:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Copy/paste the following line then press the Enter key:
    start /w wusa /kb:2976978 /uninstall

After the hard disk thrashing stops, you should find KB2976978 has gone.

Hope this helps...
    Man, I was waiting on that hd thrashing to begin. But instead Microsoft threw up the message that the update was required by my computer and could (would) not be uninstalled. Thank you for your assist.

After my original post I found that on 10/14/15 Microsoft had deposited said update into the list of "important" updates to be installed. Hmmm...

Thanks
    Oldiesjock - Strange that KB2976978 should uninstall on a Windows 7 system but not Windows 8.1. Sorry it didn't work. I came across the following quote explaining why:
    Certain updates simply cannot be uninstalled. This is not determined on the fly - it's a static property of the update itself. So this isn't a question of prerequisites or postrequisites and uninstalling in order, it's just a simple fact that this update cannot ever be uninstalled once installed.

The most common examples are the Servicing Stack updates, and in general all updates for Windows Update. None of these can ever be uninstalled.

Why? Because they often retrospectively slightly change (or in the case of some of the Windows Vista servicing stack updates, very significantly change) the structure of the Components Hive. Slight tweaks are made, new keys added, data formats changed, and oftentimes the old keys updated to the new format.

Uninstalling the update would require rolling back these changes to the old format - a very significant coding undertaking Microsoft chose not to spend time on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Oldiesjock (2015-10-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick Corbett,

Very interesting read and certainly not an explanation I would have thought of. The last line in the first paragraph, "it's just a simple fact that this update cannot ever be uninstalled once installed". Is that referencing this particular update, 2976978? And where did you get the information?

Thanks
    Hi Oldiesjock - I found the quote in this article which, amongst other updates, specifically mentions KB2976978.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As I read and think about my previous posts on the subject of KB2976978 I'm also catching up on reading the Windows Secrets Newsletter, in particular issue 499 dated 9/24/15. Fred Langa's Langalist Plus commentary "About Microsoft's new "telemetry updates" made me stop and think to myself. Am I getting carried away with the "big brother" philosophy? I shall ponder his thoughts further and thank you to those that made time to help me. RocOn!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hi Oldiesjock - I found the quote in this article which, amongst other updates, specifically mentions KB2976978.
    I scanned the link you posted and I will read all of the entries. Thanks, again.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldiesjock View Post
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I did check for that. No restore point was created.
    Check that System Restore is enabled, and that you have enough free space to create restore points.

That, and frequent disk image backups (with verification) are your lifeline to a successful rollback to a good known state.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Check that System Restore is enabled, and that you have enough free space to create restore points.

That, and frequent disk image backups (with verification) are your lifeline to a successful rollback to a good known state.
    Hello jwoods,

Oh yeah... sys restore is turned on and used often especially when I'm "experimenting" with software/programs or prior to update/patch installs. My "Monster" HD is set at 1% which is a bit over 18GB of space.

Conducting backups is a norm too.