5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to do about Windows 10

I have two computers, one running Vista and the other Running Win8.1. On the Win8.1 machine a reminder keeps popping up about Win10 and a few days ago I got a thing that wanted me to sign-up for Win10 to reserve a copy for this computer (I don't remember the exact words). I don't want to install Win10 yet but I plan to do that before this free year is out. So my question is what approach should be used to just delay the installation for several more months? Should I just keep ignoring any reminders that I receive or should I take some specific action?

On the Vista machine the hard drive is too small and Vista has a hard time accomplishing anything. I can't do anything with it until I'm satisfied I have everything transferred off the Vista to the Win8.1 machine and I'm ready to reformat the drive and install something else there. I guess it will be eligible for Win10 too if Win10 will run on it. I haven't received any Win10 reminders on it at this point. Should I do anything with respect to Win10 on the Vista machine?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I have two computers, one running Vista and the other Running Win8.1. On the Win8.1 machine a reminder keeps popping up about Win10 and a few days ago I got a thing that wanted me to sign-up for Win10 to reserve a copy for this computer (I don't remember the exact words). I don't want to install Win10 yet but I plan to do that before this free year is out. So my question is what approach should be used to just delay the installation for several more months? Should I just keep ignoring any reminders that I receive or should I take some specific action?

On the Vista machine the hard drive is too small and Vista has a hard time accomplishing anything. I can't do anything with it until I'm satisfied I have everything transferred off the Vista to the Win8.1 machine and I'm ready to reformat the drive and install something else there. I guess it will be eligible for Win10 too if Win10 will run on it. I haven't received any Win10 reminders on it at this point. Should I do anything with respect to Win10 on the Vista machine?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Have a read of the comments in Microsoft clobbers “block Win10 upgrade” settings @ AskWoody.com There is talk about a 3rd party app called "win 10 when I want it" http://win10wiwi.com/ It sounds safe enough but read all the comments first as they talk about the risk involved before downloading it.This may be useful for keeping the win 10 upgrade at bay for a few months if you feel it's safe to download.
    Good luck, Pete

Thanks
    The Vista PC won't get the free update to Windows 10.

The free update is for Windows 7 and later.

Thanks
    GWX Control Panel: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

More info at: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

I have used GWX Control Panel on twenty-or-more customers' Win7 & Win8 computers so far to disable the GWX nag icon and to disable the upgrade to Win10.

But also untick the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" checkbox in WU settings.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    Have a read of the comments in Microsoft clobbers “block Win10 upgrade” settings @ AskWoody.com There is talk about a 3rd party app called "win 10 when I want it" http://win10wiwi.com/ It sounds safe enough but read all the comments first as they talk about the risk involved before downloading it.This may be useful for keeping the win 10 upgrade at bay for a few months if you feel it's safe to download.
    Good luck, Pete
    Thanks for the info Pete. I read the things you referenced and will get one of those helpers.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    The Vista PC won't get the free update to Windows 10.

The free update is for Windows 7 and later.
    Thanks Browni, I knew that at some point but forgot! I'll figure out something else to do with the older laptop that is running Vista right now.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Coochin. I think I will get the GWX Control Panel. It sounds it does just what I need.

Thanks,
    Bill