Silver Lounger
    Thanks

recover saved info

I was just typing a long reply, so it was saved several times, with quotes from previous posts in the

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...97#post1026597

I wanted to look at the post before posting so went to Go Advanced. I found that I was logged out bcs I didn't have proper permissions for this.

Is there anyway to recover the saved material? This is NOT something I'd want to have to start over!!!

TIA

Fred

Thanks
    The only thing I know [which is not much] is that sometimes one can use the back button again and again until that favorite post appears -- then immediately make screen captures, save the captures to a hard-drive based file, and copyNpaste into a new post.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you spent some time writing a post, most, if not all of what you wrote should be recoverable through the Auto-Saved Content feature. To see if there is something you can recover, start a reply to the same topic and look for a Restore Auto-Saved Content button at the bottom left of the reply area. If it shows, click it and you will get whatever was saved. If it does not show, then I fear you will have lost everything.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-10-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you remember to check the Remember me box when you logged in ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Thanks.

I stumbled upon Rui's suggestion. I had a bit of spare time and decided to redo my reply. Out of "thin air," that Restore button appeared on the bottom left of the pane. It didn't quite have everything I recall having entered but it had most of it.

Certainly not intuitive!

Perhaps the more important question is why did the Go Advanced send me into never-never land.

As to the Remember Me box, usually those are for remembering passwords. Not quite sure I get the connection here.

Fred

Thanks
    I usually type up everything in Notepad before actually posting it. It is very easy to assemble all of the various parts of the post. For example, I click "Reply With Quote", copy the entire contents of the new window into Notepad, and then edit out the parts I don't want. I can get multiple quotes very easily that way, with my replies to each one.

Then once I've got the entire post all set up, I copy and paste it into a "Reply" window.

If there happens to be a glitch and I lose my post, it is still sitting in Notepad, ready to copy and paste again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fburg View Post
    As to the Remember Me box, usually those are for remembering passwords. Not quite sure I get the connection here.

Fred
    If you log in and forget to check the Remember me box, you can suddenly find yourself as not logged in when submitting or previewing a reply.

Give it a try....

Thanks
    I haven't checked the Remember Me box in a long time, if ever; and I'm never bumped out.

A long time ago, I kept getting bumped out for no apparent reason, but it's been a very long time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If you log in and forget to check the Remember me box, you can suddenly find yourself as not logged in when submitting or previewing a reply.

Give it a try....
    Sudo I am thinking it is a session time out issue. I often open a dozen or so tabs to read but some times I get distracted by something I have read here (this place is great for that always learning something new) and don't touch the WS tabs for a while and find my session timed out.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think it's a session time out thing.

On a number of occasions I've just closed the WS window and gone off to another site or two to find when I've come back that I'm still logged in.

On another forum I fell foul of not checking the Remember me box when I first started posting and wondered why when I came to post would find myself logged out - just assumed it would be the same on here and on another forum, someone had the same problem until told to check that box.

Thanks

Give it a try....
    It's happened to me before so I always check it.

Thanks
    I don't think it's a session time out thing.

On a number of occasions I've just closed the WS window and gone off to another site or two to find when I've come back that I'm still logged in.

On another forum I fell foul of not checking the Remember me box when I first started posting and wondered why when I came to post would find myself logged out - just assumed it would be the same on here and on another forum, someone had the same problem until told to check that box.
    I think you were actually making my point for me if you think about it.\\
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I think you were actually making my point for me if you think about it.\\
    I think I must be brain dead at the moment so can you explain that ?

Thanks
    Or maybe its me
    I have had the 'lost what I typed in' problem when I started to reply and wandered off to make sure what I was saying wasn't pure bull cr*&. Upon returning to complete my reply and submitting I have gotten a time out reload page type warning. I was NOT logged or the relogin was automatic, don't really know which.

Last edited by wavy; 2015-10-21 at 11:13. Reason: gr
    David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I recall that the old Lounge had the problem but this is the first time I've encountered it on the new Lounge.

Also, I don't think my problem was a session time out. I wasn't checking things or doing anything else. I was actively creating a reply on the thread - typing in things, copying text from other people's posts to put into quotes, etc.

I wanted to see how my post would look, so hit the Go Advanced button. That's when it happened.

Fred