Thanks

Can I ditch Windows Cardspace?

Greetings...

I still use Cardfile and have no need that I am aware of for Windows Cardspace. Although I associate the .crd filetype with cardfile.exe, every now and then Cardspace rears its head and takes over.

Can I delete the entry (class ID?) {78CB147A-98EA-4AA6-B0DF-C8681F69341C} and call it a day? If not how might I remedy this situation?

Thanks in advance, P_P

<|>

Thanks
    If that is part and parcel of Windows Prime and Proper, be very very careful about deleting anything. I tried that on Windows Defender, and 'cause I was unable to fix the nonGenuineNess and the un-authentication -- I was forced to do a complete reInstall of my Windows awhile back.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think anyone uses Cardspace, though I'm happy to be corrected on that.

I wouldn't delete it, just in case you break something. Instead, just disable the Windows Cardspace service; it doesn't have any dependencies, so you should be good. I simply have mine set to manual, with no ill effects, but then I don't use Cardfile.

Thanks
    Thanks All. Yes you are quite correct, Cardspace is part of the dotnet whatever. I had had it (cardspace) disabled, but it somehow and sometime resurrected itself. There are zero alert messages regarding the service, so nothing has ever called for it. But there is a lot of third-party software apps that won't run unless it (dotnet) is installed.

Gotta love straight-to-the point coding and economically (size/density/mass) written software. Don't we?

P_P

<|>

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Payton_Place View Post
    Thanks All. Yes you are quite correct, Cardspace is part of the dotnet whatever.

Gotta love straight-to-the point coding and economically (size/density/mass) written software. Don't we
    <|>
    Actually the other way around Cardspace needs one of the dotnets 3 I think. On my w7 box it is set to manual. If you remove the cardspace icon in control panel w/o consequence let us know, I have too many icons there myself. MS bloat indeed!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Payton_Place (2015-10-22)