Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Copying Part of a Post

I was just wondering if the Webmasters could modify the forum so that it is possible to copy part of a post in order to paste it.

What I have in mind for this is when a longish command or series of commands has been posted by a helper, the OP can then copy & paste directly to the cmd prompt to negate the possibility of typos.

i.e. -

These general Windows Update fix cmds will auto run when copied & pasted with perhaps the last one requiring enter to be pressed.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

(Go on - make a liar out of me )
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-19 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sudo,

Why not just copy to NotePad and save as an .CMD or .BAT file and run it?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never had trouble doing what you describe, Sudo. Select the text, copy, right-click the command prompt's title bar, edit, paste.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    I've never had trouble doing what you describe, Sudo. Select the text, copy, right-click the command prompt's title bar, edit, paste.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
    No, you aren't misunderstanding me and for some reason I was able to select those cmds to copy & paste, but in previous posts when I've posted -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Then tried the copy to see if I could advise the copy & paste, all I got was the Select all option.

Perhaps the problem is on my end, although I've never had any problem on another forum.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-19 at 07:03.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps the problem is on my end ?
    Looks that way.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Works for me

Actually, you've done me a favour; I just right-clicked the CMD window itself (rather than the title bar) to get the paste command. I never knew you could do that!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, I find that whenever I copy something from a web page, it's helpful to past that into Notepad first and check to see that everything I wanted is there and that there are no extraneous bits. I can then edit/copy/paste to a command prompt.

And, as RG mentions, you can save the Notepad file as a BAT or CMD and run that. This allows you to save the command for later use.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The two examples I've posted, I already keep in a Notepad doc along with others so I can easily copy & paste them into a reply box.

The problem I've quite often experienced on here is that I don't get the Copy option when highlighting a given block of text which is why I created this thread.

As it happens, I have no problem copying the examples I've posted - Sods Law ?

@ tonyl - if you want to copy & paste the output of a cmd window then use the right click but click on Select all then press enter which you can then just right click where you want to paste it and select that option.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-19 at 09:30.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

tonyl (2015-10-19)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    <snip>
    @ tonyl - if you want to copy & paste the output of a cmd window then use the right click but click on Select all then press enter which you can then just right click where you want to paste it and select that option.
    Thanks for that - I always thought you had to right-click the cmd window's title bar, not in the window itself. Just shows you, you never stop learning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-10-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Actually, I never knew about right clicking the title bar and using the sub-menu as I've always used the method I've described - so I've learned something as well

Although I have used right click on the title bar to select Properties to change the default size and colour of the cmd window.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-19 at 10:38.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The problem I've quite often experienced on here is that I don't get the Copy option when highlighting a given block of text which is why I created this thread.
    Well, given that I'm almost as old as dirt, I'm so used to using Ctrl-C to copy that the presence or absence of a copy option is something I never even think about.

That said, I have found cases where trying to copy from a web page didn't work so there may be something else at work here. Could it possibly be something else you had running?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Sudo

I do not have that problem w/ this forum. maybe NoScript is helping there. I have found on sites that do not let you copy with the mouse, Ctrl C and Ctrl V still work.

This Java script may help restore the context menu in FF.
    javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null)
    Paste it into the location of a bookmark.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then tried the copy to see if I could advise the copy & paste, all I got was the Select all option.
    When that happens the rule is that the clipboard either:

- has no data in it;
    - the data is in the wrong format (e.g. graphics).

I've occasionally had problems getting data into the clipboard. Either repeating my initial steps or varying the steps slightly is usually the answer. For instance, highlight the text and then right click to get a context menu, instead of using the keyboard shortcuts.

I'm never sure if the culprit is Fat Finger Syndrome, a kb/mouse that is getting old, a computer that gets so busy it drops interrupts, buggy software or something else.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll leave things as they are - wished I never started the thread now

I'll leave javascript alone as I use IE 11 and only use FF to trouble shoot IE.

I have a "home made" Clipboard cleaner which I use before clicking on anything to paste so don't think that's it.

CTRL+C and CTRL+V don't always work me so I've always used the right click option to highlight then again to select Copy.

jwoods
    Left mouse click, drag and highlight, right click and select Copy seems to work in both IE and Firefox.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Left mouse click, drag and highlight, right click and select Copy seems to work in both IE and Firefox.
    Works for me in IE, Firefox and SeaMonkey. The Select All is the same choice I get until after I click and drag across selected text then I get the Copy. Since the Windows Clipboard holds only one item at a time I do have to watch what gets Pasted, not always the current Copy item. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V work as they should. I use a USB Wired mouse on my Desktops but don't have a problem with Wireless or Bluetooth Wireless mice on my Notebooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast