Star Lounger
    Thanks

W10 Upgrade via Media Creation Tool

Dual booting W7 on C drive and W10 on D drive. I installed W10 with the Media Creation Tool. The install was flawless and I was not asked for a key. In addition, W10 was already activated. Is this normal when installing with the Media Creation Tool?

jwoods
    It is normal.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    It is normal.
    I seem to recall seeing something mentioning this install is good for 30 days only and a key will then be required. Sorry I don't recall when I saw this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you upgrade a system to Win10 you have 30 days to rollback to your prior version. If you installed a Windows Insider Preview version each of those has an expiration date which is determined by the next release. If you installed the July 29th official release that has no expiration.

Joe

Thanks
    30 days is the stated period, yes. But, according to some, running the Media Creation Tool during this period will break it.

*TIP* for everyone out there. One thing I have not seen advertised about the 30-day rollback option you have with Windows 10 is that *if* you run the Media Creation Tool at any point in those 30 days, it BREAKS the ability to rollback - even if you did it just to create an ISO image so you would have installation media to keep. This is because that tool recreates the $'Windows.~BT' and '$Windows.~WS' folders on the root of your C drive and those two folders and their original contents after the upgrade along with the 'Windows.OLD' folder (the only 'visible by default' one of the three) are all necessary for the rollback process to work.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...?page=2&auth=1