Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement laptop battery?

Hopefully this is not off topic.

I've got an HP Pavilion laptop I've had for 3 years and it has had nothing but battery issues since I got it... basically the battery never seems to hold a charge, even though the built-in HP software -says- the battery is OK and is '100%' charged.

I got a genuine HP replacement 2 years ago and I now apparently need another. I'm wondering if the no-name ones on Amazon or eBay are OK. They all get totally mixed reviews.. some say 'fine', others say 'terrible'. I just don't want to pay full price for another HP battery if it's going to be the same story.

FWIW: I've used no-name batteries on my DSLRs and had no problems.

Your thoughts?

TIA,

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should always go for the vendor's battery and they probably only last a couple of years when in use constantly anyway.

When you fit a new battery it is best to recalibrate and there's a section in this article for how to do that.

http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

HWMonitor will tell you its wear level. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html

Even though your current battery can show as 100% charged, it won't be the full charge it once had because of the wear level and that will determine how long you can use it before you get the alert to find an alternative power source.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    SunTower,

I've replaced the batteries in both of my APC UPSes w/noname batteries and haven't had a problem. I paid well less than 1/3 of what APC wanted. Do your research and read the reviews critically (there will always be bad ones and glowing ones).

I also replaced the Charger for my Dell laptop with an off brand and it works just fine for the last 3 years.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, as expected... no consensus. I would get another vendor battery in a heartbeat if I believed at -all- in the computer's self-diagnostics. I've gone through the calibration and remote testing with HP and they always say the system and batter are fine. But the thing has -never- held a charge to spec since it was brand new.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had good service in getting batteries, AC adapters and a couple of LCD display panels from www.priorityelectronics.com. They don't always have some things in stock but do have a link for letting them know what I need.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-10-28)

jwoods
    I'm wondering why the battery keeps getting killed.

This article may shed some light on that...

http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Someone in the UK bought a Made in China one and it exploded in the laptop.

Not sure if that was a defective battery or the charging system on the laptop not cutting off when fully charged - but since I read that, I've stuck with the vendor one.

If you go for a generic one, check its wear level with HWMonitor after its fully charged as I've come across one that already had 10% wear on it and that would have represented about 6 months usage for me.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    " For example, Battery University states that a battery charged to 100 percent will have only 300-500 discharge cycles, while a battery charged to 70 percent will get 1,200-2,000 discharge cycles."

Did not know that. Might have a lot to do with it. I -used- to often keep the thing plugged in a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I'm wondering why the battery keeps getting killed.

This article may shed some light on that...

http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

Thanks
    This from Battery University makes an interesting read.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._smart_battery

The charging smarts is in your battery and you are relying on the manufacturer of the battery for your safety. Lithium batteries do explode. Did you ever notice that you can not return mail order batteries? Recently air lines have instituted new prohibitions on Lithium batteries in check in luggage. Tesla has also become very aware of this problem, one of their vehicles burned up last year (maybe earlier ??)

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    “Rapid disassembly” is the preferred term by the battery industry.
    From Battery University. That means explode in English

FWIW I was readind the Dummies site http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...p-battery.html and if BU is right that Dummies site was written by dummies

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Laptop (any lithium ion batteries actually) are good for 300-500 recharges (a 5% recharge counts as one and the same as a 85% recharge). Figure 18 mo. lifespan before needing a new one. Modern laptops seem much better at not continually charging the battery when operating on AC power and thereby killing battery life.

I have found mfg. replacement batteries to be inferior to the one that came with the laptop often even if it accompanied the purchase of the laptop. So, yes, buy 3rd party for replacement if there is a substantial price difference. I see little difference---neither are great quality.

OP: What does something like HWMonitor say about battery charge and remaining life? I'm more inclined to believe an hardware issue in the laptop.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-21 at 15:38.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to that article optimum battery life requires a charge of 58% and discharge to 10%. How you would ever manage that is beyond me!

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    According to that article optimum battery life requires a charge of 58% and discharge to 10%. How you would ever manage that is beyond me!

cheers, Paul
    See it's tough for me to know what to make of all these stats and differing points of view. But I've had cell phones and other devices where the Li battery has lasted for literally 6-7 years and is -still- going strong. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but it just doesn't seem reasonable that these things would be so finicky.

The previously quoted '2 year expected life' seems almost criminal given their toxicity. I mean they -should- last longer if the device (my computer) is working properly, right? Right?

I guess that's why I am leaning towards the el-cheap-o brand... since they all seem to suck... and HP doesn't provide the tools to get to the bottom of it.

jwoods
    All of those likely assume that you have your power settings optimized for running on battery. You might want to review those settings and do some further research.

You didn't mention what version of Windows you are running.

Microsoft has a list of common issues and a Fix-it that applies up to and including Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...power_settings