New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 external device problems

I have recently upgraded my computers to an ASUS VivoPC for my desktop and an Acer 2-in-1 for my tablet/portable PC. Both of them currently have Win 8.1 with all updates applied.

I am having a problem on both of them getting them to recognize external devices. Both of them recognize a thumb drive and an SD card when inserted. They both recognize the USB device for my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. However, neither of them will recognize an external drive, a tablet or any Kindle device. I have tested all of the USB ports on my ASUS (Acer only has 1) and none of them will recognize those particular devices.

I'm assuming this is a Win 8.1 problem since it is happening on both devices and never happened on my Win 7 devices.

I have gone into PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Recovery/Advanced Startup and selected option #7 upon reboot which is supposed to allow the installation of unsigned drivers. I then downloaded a Kindle driver and installed it but it still won't recognize either my Kindle Fire or Paperwhite.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One more thing. In Device Manager when the thumb drive and/or SD card is installed I see them listed under Portable Devices. Not so with the Kindle, external drive, etc.

jwoods
    Are you trying to connect through a USB hub?

If so, try a direct connection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    nataharli,

Based on my experience it's not a Win 8.1 problem as I have successfully connected my Kindle, Samsung Note 4, and several different USB HDDs, both directly connected and via a 8 port powered hub, w/o problem.

You might want to try using Device Manager to delete the drivers for the USB devices and then rebooting and letting Windows reload them.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs