2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will the Win 10 (looks like Win 7) backup make a clone?

Fred Langa's Windows Secrets article on using the features of Windows Backup didn't make it clear to me if I can clone my C: drive with it. A cloned drive has saved the day when disaster occurred in the past, so I'm continuing making periodic clones (with Acronis True Image) as a fail-safe.

But if this can be done within Windows backup, I'd be all for it.

Fred talked about making an image, but I'm not sure I'm clear on the difference between a clone and an image - and what's required to use an image to boot a clean copy of my OS, apps and data in that mode.

Thanks
    No, the Windows default backup (any version of Windows) does not perform cloning.
    You'll need a 3rd party application for that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    An image is a large file containing a copy of the data on your hard drive and can be used to restore your installation in case of problems. It should be stored on a separate hard drive due to its size and the fact that, if there is a problem with your hard drive, you will lose the image as well as the OS.

How to restore an image:-
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

A clone is a bit for bit copy of your hard drive on a separate hard drive and is bootable, so if your hard drive fails, you can replace it with the cloned drive.

A clean installation of your OS is just that. It does not preserve your apps which need to be reinstalled from the original install media, likewise your data which has to be reinstalled from back ups.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joro.

>>> the difference between a clone and an image <<<

An image is an "all or nothing" process. I do not think that you can look into an image and select any one file/folder to peruse. From a clone, one can select and copy any one file/folder and do whatever one wants with it. I swear by cloning, never swear at a clone. After I clone any machine, I bring up on screen both the C:\ and the cloned device and then compare them, twins they are. I can then click and work on any file/folder at will. That clone will also be capable of re-cloning the machine, be it a new C:\ or the same source C:\ that is now the destination.

I clone my many machines at least twice/month. If ever I need to clone it back, I have only lost the intervening days, their data. Of course, I need dedicated USB HDs for every machine, they are dime a dozen nowadays. As opposed to the image process, you need not an exact equivalent HD, cloning will not copy empty space. I have +/- 50 GBs used on my C:\, a 300 GBs HD, and I use 100 GBs USB HDs, it all fits.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    FWI
    Most imaging S/W I have seen do come with a mounting function that allows access to files on an image. Many consider a successful 'mount' to be an indication of a 'good' image.
    Both Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image have this feature for sure!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.