2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 and Word 2010

I installed MS Office 2010 Home and Student (because I wanted OneNote 2010) - as a result I've lost some things in Outlook 2007, including Styles, Insert Picture, As You Type spell checking etc, this is because Outlook 2007 uses Word 2007 as its editor.

Does anyone know if and how I can shoehorn Word 2007 back into the mix for Outlook, but keep Word 2010 for everything else

Or does anyone know of a cheap source for Outlook 2010.

NW

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think there's just enough difference between Office 2007 applications and Office 2010 applications to be an issue. A minor thing, if having any part of Office 2007 or earlier installed you'll have to stay with the 32-bit version of 2010. Office 2010 was the first to have either 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

A couple of things I'd try, one is to uninstall Office 2007 then reinstall choosing Custom and uncheck/disable things you don't want. The other is to use Control Panel, Programs and Features to Change/Repair the Office install and uncheck/disable things. May have to do the same with Outlook 2010. If prompted about the editor see if Wordpad can be selected, it's a very light version of Word.

A couple of places I've used, www.directdeals.com and www.royaldiscount.com, may not be the cheapest but won't hurt to look.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Berton - thanks - 64 bit not an option, too much hassle converting addins and macros. And Word Pad is not suitable, I need a full blown WP.

I did a reinstall of Word 2007 and the lost functionality Outlook 2007 was restored - but that left OneNote without a dancing partner.

A VM is one alternative, but I'm not sure I want to run a discrete VM just for Outlook 2007

NW

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Microsoft does not recommend installing a 64-bit version of Office unless you really need to process extremely large spreadsheets.

When you install multiple versions of Office you should always install from the oldest to the newest. You'd need to perform a custom install to keep the older version.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    When you install multiple versions of Office you should always install from the oldest to the newest. You'd need to perform a custom install to keep the older version.Joe
    I thought that's what I did - but the 2010 custom install didn't give me the options I expected to see - I would have preferred to only install OneNote and do the others later - but that option wasn't there

However, after much fiddling (un & re-installing, fiddling with Default Programs, several reboots), I have somehow got what I want - Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote 2010 and a fully functional Outlook 2007. I am not entirely sure what I did to get it that way, nor am I sure that the Win10 Update 'whatever' didn't do something when I wasn't looking.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe