Thanks

Install Office 2016

If I install Office Pro Plus over Office 2010 Pro Plus will it retain all my settings or will I have to spend hours re-doing them? Is the jump from 2010 to 2016 worth it?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you perform an in-place (overwriting) install, the rule is that your settings should be retained.

As for the "is it worth it" question, that depends upon your goals. If you mostly want to be right up-to-date and staying current with supported versions, then yes it's worth it. If you are looking for hot new features and loads of new functionality... probably not.

Office isn't changing much anymore. The ribbon was the big, obvious change in recent versions, and that was Office 2007. Microsoft continues to integrate SharePoint and OneDrive into Office. The biggest recent change was Office 365 which is a different delivery, licensing and cost model, but you aren't talking about that. Office Mobile is another big new trend but that isn't your question either.

One thing. The long-standing rule with Microsoft is "wait for the first Service Pack", which obviously isn't available yet. The counter-argument to this is that if Office 2016 isn't so very different from Office 2012 then maybe waiting for SP1 isn't necessary. There isn't enough information out yet on the release quality of Office 2016 to know either way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Boghound (2015-10-21)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Let's just say there's a lot of angst being expressed on MS Answers about broken functionality with Office 2016, especially for Macs. IMHO, like Windows 10, Office 2016's release has been rushed and it's not ready for serious use. Unless you really need to use features that have been added to Office 2016 since Office 2010 was released and you're prepared to put up with Office 2016's flakiness to get them, my advice would be to stick with Office 2010 for now.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Boghound (2015-10-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Let's just say there's a lot of angst being expressed on MS Answers about broken functionality with Office 2016, especially for Macs. IMHO, like Windows 10, Office 2016's release has been rushed and it's not ready for serious use. Unless you really need to use features that have been added to Office 2016 since Office 2010 was released and you're prepared to put up with Office 2016's flakiness to get them, my advice would be to stick with Office 2010 for now.
    Thanks for interesting reply. Think I will wait until bug are ironed out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    If you perform an in-place (overwriting) install, the rule is that your settings should be retained.

As for the "is it worth it" question, that depends upon your goals. If you mostly want to be right up-to-date and staying current with supported versions, then yes it's worth it. If you are looking for hot new features and loads of new functionality... probably not.

Office isn't changing much anymore. The ribbon was the big, obvious change in recent versions, and that was Office 2007. Microsoft continues to integrate SharePoint and OneDrive into Office. The biggest recent change was Office 365 which is a different delivery, licensing and cost model, but you aren't talking about that. Office Mobile is another big new trend but that isn't your question either.

One thing. The long-standing rule with Microsoft is "wait for the first Service Pack", which obviously isn't available yet. The counter-argument to this is that if Office 2016 isn't so very different from Office 2012 then maybe waiting for SP1 isn't necessary. There isn't enough information out yet on the release quality of Office 2016 to know either way.
    Thanks for reply. As for retaining settings I couldn't remember what happened, old age, the last time I upgraded Office.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boghound View Post
    Think I will wait until bug are ironed out.
    In my experience, updates for Office come more frequently than for Windows, so my guess is you will not have to wait for long

Thanks
    Just to be clear, Office 2016 on a Mac is not at all the same as 2016 on Windows.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel