New Lounger
    Thanks

battery replacement

On boot, my Dell GX620 says "system battery voltage low". Is it possible to replace the battery without losing the BIOS setup values?
    If not, is there a clever way to record and restore the settings?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-norton View Post
    On boot, my Dell GX620 says "system battery voltage low". Is it possible to replace the battery without losing the BIOS setup values?
    If not, is there a clever way to record and restore the settings?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Yes, it is possible IF you know what you are doing. It's usually a silver-color CR-2032 quarter-size 3V battery. The main thing is to it with the computer off but still plugged in to save the BIOS' user settings, carefully pop the battery loose and lift it out [a pencil-type magnet may help although some batteries aren't ferrous metal] then plug the new one in. One has to be extremely to touch only the clip holding the battery and the battery itself. Don't drop it as there's things on the motherboard that won't take kindly to it. As for the magnet, a couple of times I've had to use tape stuck to the battery to lift it out, battery case was a different type of metal.

As for recording, used to be the PrntScrn key worked with Parallel-port printers, usually Dot-Matrix, but won't with USB printers. A digital camera would be useful if one can get a clear image. I use an upscale camera and got a macro lens for it.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-20 at 11:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

j-norton (2015-10-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Berton. I will be super careful but will give it a try.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-norton View Post
    Thanks, Berton. I will be super careful but will give it a try.
    You're welcome. I should have mentioned that leaving the power cord plugged in maintains power to the board and the BIOS settings should be retained.

Thanks

warning re ESD

Perhaps a warning re ESD is needed. It is getting colder (although here in the NE USA we are supposed to have a warm fall) and the air drier allowing static electricity to build up. To prevent damage it is advisable to touch the grounded bare metal of the case before working on the interior of a computer and again after walking away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should assume it is not possible to swap the battery without losing your settings.

Easy way? Not that I know. You would think there would be an app to copy the BIOS settings (restoring them automatically would not be that easy). None that I know of... EFI (which the OP does not have) should allow a backup and restore them.

I recommend a sheet of paper and just copy down the settings. A pain, but works. If you remember what you changed over the years, then you likely do not have that many settings to record. I doubt Dell allows you many BIOS settings anyway. Everything else is factory default. [Actually I am freakin old! Use your cell phone camera to snap screen shots of each BIOS page. Make sure they are all readable. Probably have to disable or cover flash. Then do the swap.]

As others have said, be careful in what you touch with it plugged in (or not actually). While not a danger to you, it takes very miniscule current to fry components.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/al...uide_en-us.pdf
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-21 at 14:13. Reason: added cell phone camera....

Thanks
    Right FN most people will have made few changes. Boot order will likely be the most often changed. People who do changes are usually the most likely to know their way around the firmware settings, overclockers ans such..
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    You would think there would be an app to copy the BIOS settings (restoring them automatically would not be that easy). None that I know of... EFI (which the OP does not have) should allow a backup and restore them.
    F.N.,

I used to use CMOSSave & CMOSRest by Canadian Mind Products. This saved my bacon many a time back in the day. However, I haven't used it for quite a number of years and I'm not sure it is up to date enough to be useful. Check out the link. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs