New Lounger

Question a silly question or 2

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have had nothing but problems, but that's not what my questions are about, I don't think(I might be wrong)

I'm creating a backup on an external hard drive and am wondering why I have these extra Users- 'Default', 'Default.migrated', 'DefaultAppPool', 'Public'. Are they necessary or can I delete them. I am the only person who uses the computer so I have no need for any extra user accounts but I don't want to delete something the system needs to run, seeing as my other computer seems to have crashed.

why do I suddenly have these folders on my C: Drive,
    what purpose do they serve? Do I need them or can they be safely removed? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

If I have a 'Recovery' folder, what are the files 'SPP','Windows Backup' and 'WindowsImageBackup'in the 'System Volume Information' folder for?

Thanks in advance!!
    I can't afford to have this system crash like the other one as I can't afford to pay someone to repair it!
    any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    also, one last question in regards to the computer that has crashed.
    when I try to turn the system on it gives me a black screen with the following message
    'BOOTMGR is missing
    press ctrl+alt+del to restart'
    is there a way to resolve this issue myself?

thanks again in advance for any help offered.
    Last edited by Nikki Hamm; 2015-10-21 at 01:53.

WS Lounge VIP
    You have 2 questions here that I think need to be split. Please start a new thread about your crashed computer with details of what you were doing pre crash and whether you have backups etc.

To answer your question about the "extra" folders, do not do anything with them, Windows created them and will clean up any that are not required. More importantly, you should be creating an image backup, not backing up individual folders. Folder backup is for data only, not Windows.

cheers, Paul

Mojave Desert CA
    Welcome to the lounge.
    Windows 10 will take care of those folders ( they will be gone ) in approx. 30 days, and as Paul said, don't delete them in case you need to revert to your old OS within that 30 days.
    You didn't say what your problems were with windows 10 but remember that you have that 30 days to go back.

Austin metro area TX USA
    Exactly what is it that you are using for your backup/restore program?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

5 Star Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Hamm View Post
    what purpose do they serve? Do I need them or can they be safely removed? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.
    Windows.old is potentially of great value to you, especially if you updated from a system that you have been using on that computer for a long time.

It will be deleted automatically about four weeks after the installation, but it contains material from the pre-update installation that Windows is throwing away.

I suggest you explore it and see if there is anything of value to you that you want to keep. It's just another folder until it vanishes, but you can copy or move things from that folder to any folder on the new installation if you discover that you left behind and suddenly realize you would really like to keep. You might, for example, compare the contents of the Windows\Fonts folder to see if you have any personal favourites that the upgrade is dumping on you. I can't recall whether you can see that in Windows.old or not, but I have been angry in past to find that Windows upgrades have 'lost' fonts (such as Adabi) that came from legitimate Microsoft products in the first place.

Look around. It costs nothing to explore, but once it's gone it's gone.