Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to Win 10 methods

My system originally came with Windows 7 Pro. Gradually upgraded to Windows 8.0 and included the MS patches, etc as provided.
    Somewhere along the way I hit a glitch: when the system tries to install Win 8.1 it runs to completion (I think) but reports an error and promptly reverts. I have tried multiple times with the same result. Not having 8.1 I can't upgrade to Win 10 the correct MS way.

Now that Win 10 has been out there for awhile, is there an easier upgrade path instead of (at least as I see it) Windows 7, essential patches for Win 7, Win 8, essential patches for Win 8, Win 8.1, essential patches for Win 8.1, Win 10.

Is there a Win 10 ISO to allow a clean install of it? I am resigned to starting from a clean slate, anyway. My original Win 7 is genuine so I am not looking for any shady workarounds.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you want the free upgrade you can upgrade from Win7 SP1 directly to Win10. No need to do the Win 8 to 8.1 path. Once you've upgraded successfully yo may do a clean install if you need to without worrying about a product key. You can download Win10 from Download Windows 10.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Duncan,

You can download the Win 10 ISO here.

Please note you will need to do 2 installs. The first will be an upgrade install which will get your machine Authorized (No more keys) for Win 10. Once you have a fully Authorized Win 10 on your machine you can then use the ISO to do your clean install.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Activation changes for the latest W10 Insider Preview: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...w-build-10565/ (with ISO download links)
    Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for all the help.
    @satrow: ref your post "... Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements."
    What is the Insider Hub and where would I find it?

Edit... Got it!
    Last edited by Duncan_1; 2015-10-22 at 20:48.

Thanks
    The Insider Hub is an MS club for guinea pigs https://insider.windows.com/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The Insider Hub is an MS club for guinea pigs https://insider.windows.com/
    The Insider Hub is an optional app which can be installed:

The Insider Hub app will be the one-stop-shop for all the latest news and announcements regarding the Windows Insider Program.
    Microsoft will post quests for you to try out new features and then send feedback.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-...preview-build/

How To: Install the Windows Insider Hub on Windows 10

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    My system originally came with Windows 7 Pro. Gradually upgraded to Windows 8.0 and included the MS patches, etc as provided.
    Somewhere along the way I hit a glitch: when the system tries to install Win 8.1 it runs to completion (I think) but reports an error and promptly reverts. I have tried multiple times with the same result. Not having 8.1 I can't upgrade to Win 10 the correct MS way.

Now that Win 10 has been out there for awhile, is there an easier upgrade path instead of (at least as I see it) Windows 7, essential patches for Win 7, Win 8, essential patches for Win 8, Win 8.1, essential patches for Win 8.1, Win 10.

Is there a Win 10 ISO to allow a clean install of it? I am resigned to starting from a clean slate, anyway. My original Win 7 is genuine so I am not looking for any shady workarounds.

Thanks!
    You can go from 8.0 to 10 via the Upgrade. After the Upgrade is completed, the ISO can be used to clean install on that same machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You can go from 8.0 to 10 via the Upgrade.
    Eureka!

No, you can't go from 8 to 10,
    The only OSs eligible are W7 SP1 and W8.1 not, W8.0
    Please, take this an definitive. 7 SP1 & 8.1 Not plain 7 or plain 8. Not suggesting may hear otherwise from somewhere.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You can go from 8.0 to 10 via the Upgrade.
    NOT according to Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...ows-10-upgrade
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Y'all need to make up your minds. You berate me so always saying had to be 7 SP1 or 8.1 only. Then berate me including 8.0

Depending where & when you read MS has written both. But, in our conferences, in an effort to stop your arguing, it was confirmed had to be 7 SP1 or 8.1 only as I had always been saying. I grow weary of trying to be correct against you berating no matter what is said... which has just been proven.

jwoods
    If you have documentation that supports your claim, post it.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Y'all need to make up your minds. You berate me so always saying had to be 7 SP1 or 8.1 only. Then berate me including 8.0
    I grow weary of trying to be correct against you berating no matter what is said
    No, Drew, it's tiresome having to continually correct the misleading and sometimes false 'advice' you keep peddling. If you'd stick to the facts instead of shooting from the hip or just making things up to make yourself sound knowledgeable, no one would need to correct what you've posted. The ball's in your court.
    Depending where & when you read MS has written both.
    Really? So how about vindicating yourself by posting a link to some official advice from MS that you can upgrade from Win 8.0 to Win 10. Again, the ball's in your court.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Lately, they have included listing 8.0

Still, of little impact for prolonged discussion as so few would still be on 8.0, anyway.
    But, in our conferences, in an effort to stop your arguing, it was confirmed had to be 7 SP1 or 8.1 only as I had always been saying.

I think I just got whip lash. Where's that ambulance chaser??

PS
    It does seem MS folk really don't know what they are talking about even at mid level regarding this as well as portability of licenses. I will hopefully be test that last today.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why don't you just buy Windows 10 product key and apply fresh Windows 10 installation, without upgrade ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast