Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A review of Win10's new security features

TOP STORY

A review of Win10's new security features

By Tony Bradley

Given the increasingly sophisticated nature of malware, it's no surprise that Microsoft built new security capabilities in Windows 10. The company also enhanced its built-in encryption tool, BitLocker, to make it easier to protect your data.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-review-of-win10s-new-security-features/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Greetings frm the Great Country of TEXAS,

Within the subject area "Passport:" the last sentence could have an ERROR or misspelled word as noted:

"At this point, Password is designed mostly for corporate-IT implementations . . ." the word in BOLD probably should be "Passport"? Because this new feature is supposed to be replacing 'Passwords'
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTLS View Post
    Within the subject area "Passport:" the last sentence could have an ERROR or misspelled word as noted:
    I really hope that, with the increased revenue from all-paid subscriptions, Windows Secrets Newsletter is finally able to afford a proofreader.

There are often multiple mistakes or typos within an article, or even a single line :

"The most common issues with the new OS, once it’s installed, appears to be device drivers. There’s not easy solution for this;"

Thanks
    "BruceR,"

Thank you for this post, was not really sure this was what I had thought. So many use the incorrect words yet when thinking and reading to understand what is meant I get confused and post the wrong information.

I am NOT a proof reader not even a spell-checker just a simple user that wants to assist in getting good information out there to the public. As I see it at this point the PUBLIC is mostly hung-out_to-dry making them targets for the bad-guys.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 security

My "password" to my Vanguard account consists of a voice recognition (At Vanguard my voice is my password). How does this compare in security and needed hardware (if any) with facial recognition?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "appears" appears to be correct.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    "appears" appears to be correct.

cheers, Paul
    "The issues appears to be ..."?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One S too many, the third to be precise. /pedant mode

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I really hope that, with the increased revenue from all-paid subscriptions, Windows Secrets Newsletter is finally able to afford a proofreader.

There are often multiple mistakes or typos within an article, or even a single line :

"The most common issues with the new OS, once it’s installed, appears to be device drivers. There’s not easy solution for this;"
    They do, it's called crowd source!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

BitLocker still not for most of us

I think that, rather than glibly stating that BitLocker is "now more widely available in Windows 10," Tony Bradley could have used very few words to inform readers that BitLocker will not be included in the Home edition of Windows 10 that the vast majority of readers will be upgrading to. It will, like the BitLocker offered with previous editions of Windows, therefore be of no interest to most of us. Mr. Bradley's turn of phrase resembles marketing-speak and also indicates to me a bias toward business-oriented articles rather than user/consumer articles. I have noticed this bias in Mr. Bradley's writing in at least one other publication as well. Sometimes his style of bias takes the form of opinions like (I'm exaggerating here for emphasis) "users are idiots who can't be trusted to safeguard their machines from hacking," when in reality the security breaches and identity theft most of us will experience will come from mistakes made by companies in protecting their data. I know there are many readers of Windows Secrets who use the advice from the publication in their small businesses, but I think that articles or portions thereof that are intended for business users only should be labeled as such. So, let's hope that the future changes to Windows Secrets, if the newsletter will exist as such in any recognizable form, will not include either PR-style reports on Microsoft product features nor a dominant business user slant.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So whats the result if the bad guys get your biometric data? Do you then have to come up with a new face? Fingerprints are already being spoofed. If someone allows my biometric data to be compromised, what is their liability? Don't tell me no ones liable as that is not acceptable in a system where unsklled users are faced with advanced attack tehniques. If I give my money to a bank, they're responsible for keeping it safe. Who protects my ultimate identity factors?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You do!

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand the IT party platform that I hold control of my identity, but lets talk about this as a user and not a technician. If I authorize someone to have that data, are they or are they not responsible if the data is hacked or compromised while its under their control? They failed to protect my information from being compromised. Why aren't they responsible for their own failure to perform? I have no control over how my data is stored or protected by a 3rd party as I'm totally reliant on that entity's business model and IT structure.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They may be responsible but it is you who have to live with the consequences. Expect the best and prepare for the worst.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdboyce View Post
    So whats the result if the bad guys get your biometric data? Do you then have to come up with a new face? Fingerprints are already being spoofed. If someone allows my biometric data to be compromised, what is their liability?
    From the links in the article:

Microsoft claims that hackers cannot steal a user’s biometric information ... The biometric key is reportedly stored only on the device where facial recognition is established and so a hacker will have to steal the computer in order to even attempt authentication.

During setup, Windows takes the data captured from the face or iris sensor or fingerprint reader and creates a representation that it encrypts and stores on your device. (This isn’t an image; it’s more like a graph.) The representation of you stays on your device. Windows never stores pictures or images of your face, iris, or fingerprint on your device or anywhere else.

Your identification data—the representation of your face, iris, or fingerprint that's created when you enroll—never leaves your device.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-26 at 22:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast