New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 start menu broken

I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Everything seemed fine....for awhile. Now, however, whenever I click the Start menu icon in the bottom left corner, I get a message that says (something like...) "Critical Error: restart your computer" and this pop-up error message will not close or go away until I actually DO restart. Consequently, I cannot get to any of the Windows 10 programs. I've tried updating but without seeing any change. I've gone onto the Microsoft website and evidently several other people have had the same problem, but no one has yet published a fix or even a work-around.

Has anyone got a solution? Thanks for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you've been receiving the cumulative updates, I think all you can do is carry on restarting while waiting for Microsoft to fix this properly. Not many of the 110 million are affected.

You're not using AVAST antivirus, are you? Windows 10 critical error - start menu and cortana aren't working

It should have been fixed by KB3093266 on Sep.30th: Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 Fixes Critical Start Menu and Cortana Issues
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-22 at 14:15. Reason: added KB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    If you've been receiving the cumulative updates, I think all you can do is carry on restarting while waiting for Microsoft to fix this properly. Not many of the 110 million are affected.

You're not using AVAST antivirus, are you? Windows 10 critical error - start menu and cortana aren't working

It should have been fixed by KB3093266 on Sep.30th: Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 Fixes Critical Start Menu and Cortana Issues
    No, not using Avast. When I try to do a manual upgrade for Windows 10, I get the message that I already have the latest update. Any more suggestions? I'm all ears!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried a system refresh?

Joe

Thanks
    If you want a temporary workaround while you are waiting for a real fix, you can add a "Programs" toolbar to your taskbar to allow you access your programs.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ho...dows-8-taskbar

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    If you want a temporary workaround while you are waiting for a real fix, you can add a "Programs" toolbar to your taskbar to allow you access your programs.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ho...dows-8-taskbar
    Also, employing the Desktop Toolbar will help you a lot (even w/ a functioning Start menu). Rt Clk on Taskbar > Toolbars > Desktop.