Thread: System Monitor

Lounger
    Thanks

System Monitor

Hi,

I have just upgrade to Win XP and I miss one utlitiy that was available on Win 95 and Win 98. That is System Monitor or sysmon.exe

I know there is the monitor in TaskMon, but it does not have the same range. I like the kernel usage and dial up traffic in and out.

Does any one know of an equivalent program or how I can use sysmon on XP

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Monitor

The Windows NT/2000/XP Task Manager will also show kernel times if you are on the performance tab and click on view -> show kernel times. If you hide it while minimized it will give you a gauge of CPU load. New in the XP version is the networking tab, which shows all network activity. You can select view - -> select columns on this tab to show as much or as little detail as you want. If you show the "adapter description" you can view the details for modems as well.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. I find the information in Task Manager to be very detailed and helpful. And as with all NT based operating systems there are a ton of ways to monitor performance and most other aspects of the operating system. If this doesn't suit your needs, though, I'm sure that there is, or will be shortly if it doesn't exist in XP flavour, a tool that will show these items in one window. Perhaps <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.efsoftware.com/efsmeng.htm>this link</A> is something along the lines you are looking for? Remember that most NT and 2000 tools will work fine under XP.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add that a qucik way to get to the performance data is a single Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then click on the Performance tab.

Michael

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Chris