3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W7 Pro 32 bit PC looking for simple, easy, functional connectivity solution.

Hi,

I have 1 PC (Ethernet) & 1 laptop (wireless) both running W7 Pro 32 bit & identical software & I'm looking for simple, easy, functional connectivity solution.

I have a Universe of approx 4 TB data on several USB HD's. However my Working data is only about 2-3 MB & all this would fit nicely on a USB flash Dr.

If I could access this 2-3 Mb on a flash dr, I could live with that as long as I can easily access data with my file mgr on both PC's. If I have to go thru a lot of "settings" I might as well buy a 3 Tb Seagate (Model: STCR3000101 SKU: 2240118) or similar dr that has Ethernet & wireless capabilities. I probably have better that avg tech skills & have been using Win since 3.0, but I don't want to overstep myself with this project.

The image below tells the whole story & 'the rest of the story'.

Any & all suggestions welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jwoods
    The way I have done it is through the LAN.

I have an identical user ID and password on each machine, and share devices accordingly.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have a PC and a lappy in a homegroup and store almost everything on the PC, connecting from the lappy when required.
    Backup of the PC is to internal disk, then external USB stored separately.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I have a PC and a lappy in a homegroup and store almost everything on the PC, connecting from the lappy when required.
    Backup of the PC is to internal disk, then external USB stored separately.

cheers, Paul
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm confused as several local techs suggested that any of the following solutions:
    NAS? Homegroup? Map Drives? Network? Local Cloud? would work for me since their functionality is similiar??

My router has an USB port which supports data as per my ISP and if I plugged in a Flash DR or Sm USD HD, I could
    access and save my "3>4 MB Working Files" from both PCs. Tried but didn't work, must be missing something.
    I really don't need access to my "Universe of several TB files" stored elsewhere as I usually work on 2>3 files in my "Working Files" at any one time.

Also for some reason, my desktop & my laptop have different klugy passwords I won't remember.
    Several yrs ago I tried to set up a "Network? HomeGroup? etc." and ran into many picayune kerfuffles I went in another direction.

QUESTION: Is it possible to use the wifi USB port for a storage device the can be easily accessed form both PCs by any file mgr?
    If so what do I need to get or do?

Thanks
    Which Netgear is that? Mine has a USB port that allows a NAS like function. I do not do Print and file sharing. The drive is seeable from both compuyers and my Phone.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suggested HomeGroup because it's the easiest. Homegroups have their own password that you only set once to join the group and then it's simple to share files.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...1&v2h=win7tab1

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-23)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Which Netgear is that? Mine has a USB port that allows a NAS like function. I do not do Print and file sharing. The drive is seeable from both compuyers and my Phone.

Wavy,

Attached is a pix of router, specs, modem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...23Sept2014.pdf
    ReadySHARE Access
    Once you have set up your router, you can connect any USB storage device and share the
    contents with other users on your network.
    You can access your USB device in any of the following ways:
    • On Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 2000 systems, select Start >
    Run and enter \\readyshare in the dialog box. Click OK.
    • On Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 2000 systems, open Internet Explorer, and enter \\readyshare in the address bar.
    • On Mac OS X (version 10.2 or later), enter smb://readyshare in the address bar.
    • In My Network Places, enter \\readyshare in the address bar.
    Works fine for me.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    wavy,

Thanks, downloaded PDF will read & try.