5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall Java - reinstall if necessary

Windows 7 HP 64-bit laptop.
    It has Java 6 Update 17 & Java 6 Update 17 (64-bit): is this the latest Java version?
    I imagine the Java 6 Update 17 is the 32-bit version.

I don't see any games on her computer.
    If I uninstall them but if the owner does end up needing Java, will I be able to install both the 32-bit & 64-bit versions?
    I don't have Java on my computers so that's why I have to ask about this

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    6.17 is six years old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_v...Java_6_updates

8.65 is latest: Java Downloads for All Operating Systems: Recommended Version 8 Update 65; Release date October 20, 2015

If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.
    FAQ about 64-bit Java for Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-10-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow since that is the case it convinces me Java isn't needed so I plan on uninstalling it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    After you upgrade Java you are normally prompted to auto uninstall older versions, but in some cases it may not do that for much older versions as I have found following a factory reset and have had to manually uninstall through Progs & Features after installing the newer versions - I also install the 32 and 64 bit versions should I want to run IE in 64 bit mode.

It's usually advised to install newer versions before uninstalling older versions as for some reason, there can be difficulty in their installation.

This may be caused by remnants that are left in the registry when using Windows uninstall, so using a 3rd party uninstaller like IObit or Revo would be best for that, bearing in mind that the free version of Revo will only pick up 32 bit applications.

The only two sites that I have used that require Java are www.pingtest.net and http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ but until I use them or come across another site where I'm prompted that requires Java, I have it disabled in all browsers.

You can either right click on the coffee cup in All Control Panel Items and select Open or go Start - type java then click on Configure Java then under the Security tab uncheck the box to Allow in browsers - Apply then wait for the confirmation that it will be effective when you next open a browser then click OK twice.

While it's unlikely she will need Java, having it installed and disabled would be the better option should there be any problems with its reinstall, but it needs to be enabled in browsers first before it can be updated.

Java does have its own updater in msconfig, much like Adobe does which should prompt when there is an update, but I have those unchecked and rely on another source for when either releases an update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This program will remove items that the uninstaller misses:
    https://singularlabs.com/software/javara/