New Lounger
    Thanks

Learning Networks

We despirately need a book on networking. Currently windows 2000 pro and windows 98 are on the network. We have had a number of people in here to try and get this thing to run correctly and still there are problems. It seems that I have to learn networking and would like suggestions for a book or resource to help me.
    There is one Win 2K system that they have as the network hub and the others runn of that. The new win 2K machine, just added to the network, will not allow mircosoft updates and keeps telling me I don't have authorization?
    Help!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Learning Networks

I am a fan of the Que "Special Edition Using" series of books. The books are neither light nor light reading, but, they are excellent desktop references.

My favourite resource is google ( <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.google.com>http://www.google.com</A> ). In many cases just typing your error message into the search terms gives you a direct link to the answer you need. In many cases this is a Microsoft Knowledge Base or online manual page.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Learning Networks

You stated "and keeps telling me I don't have authorization? " You need to be logged in as Admin or with an account with Admin permissions to run Windows Update.

You did NOT state what your problems are, more information would help.

Have you added the "Guest" account to the Win 2K machine. This will allow the other machines to see and access it if they are of a Win 9x type of OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.