Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Star Lounger beachboybogart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mexico for the time being...
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    How does one find "hidden" program files in Windows 10?

    In W8, on the Metro side, I could just type the name (eg: File Manager), and when it appeared in the results list, I would right-click on the icon and select "Open location". Not so in W10.

    Internet Explorer is easy to find, because it's in a folder under Programs called Internet Explorer. But others are not so easy, because their executables are not in the .exe filename.

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,729
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 156 Times in 149 Posts
    It's the same in 10 except you need to ensure the focus is in the search box at the bottom right. In my opinion (humble or otherwise) it's a step back from 8, along with the removal of the all programs screen.

  3. #3
    Star Lounger beachboybogart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mexico for the time being...
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry, what search box is that? I'm using a laptop for W10, so there is no "Metro" style screen, just a desktop. It has the Cortana/search box on the lower left. You can easily find a program, but I want to get to the file location so I can make shortcuts to the desktop. This is something they foolishly, laughingly dropped. Before, you could right click on an application name in the All Programs list.

    And I'm with you on the whole going backwards thing... the new "exciting" Start menu is a huge mistake.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 653 Times in 576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    Before, you could right click on an application name in the All Programs list.
    You can still right click for the file location of installed classic/desktop apps, from start menu or all apps, but not for universal apps.


    For universal (built-in) apps, you can just drag and drop an icon from start menu or all apps to the desktop to create shortcuts (which also works for classic/desktop apps).

    Windows 10 Tip: Pin Universal Apps to the Desktop


    Or, if you want to do something manually, you can find all the apps at shell:AppsFolder (in Run or File Explorer address bar):

    Windows 10 Tip: Create Shortcuts for Universal Apps
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-23 at 13:01.

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    1,801
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Bbb, hello.
    Bruce set you on the right track, read it well. This W-10 is just like W-7 and/or W-8, you just have to develop the proper attitude of logic ( positive ) thinking. Browse around a trifle and you will find joy. Not a step backward in the least.

    All fine wishes. Jean.

  6. #6
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    In W8, on the Metro side, I could just type the name (eg: File Manager), and when it appeared in the results list, I would right-click on the icon and select "Open location". Not so in W10.

    Internet Explorer is easy to find, because it's in a folder under Programs called Internet Explorer. But others are not so easy, because their executables are not in the .exe filename.
    Beg to differ... it's somewhere between just as easy & much easier. If not using a window to view applications... open Start > All apps. Rt Clk on any > Open File Location. Using an Application window skips having to open Start (first) an offers ALL items exposed, not inside folders. Either way, it's just Rt Clk > Open File Location.

    2ndly, yes, in 8.1 can just begin typing on both ALL Apps OR Start screens. In Windows 10 just hit the Win key or hit the Win logo & begin typing Can use this method & not have any need for either Search icon or box on the Taskbar.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-10-23 at 15:43.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Beg to differ... it's somewhere between just as easy & much easier. If not using a window to view applications... open Start > All apps. Rt Clk on any > Open File Location. Using an Application window skips having to open Start (first) an offers ALL items exposed, not inside folders. Either way, it's just Rt Clk > Open File Location.

    2ndly, yes, in 8.1 can just begin typing on both ALL Apps OR Start screens. In Windows 10 just hit the Win key or hit the Win logo & begin typing Can use this method & not have any need for either Search icon or box on the Taskbar.
    As pointed out earlier by Bruce, this doesn't work for "Modern" apps.

    Jerry

  8. #8
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    You can just use drag-and-drop from the Start Menu to the Desktop, and it will create a shortcut for you. Left-click and hold the App you want a shortcut for, drag it to the desktop and drop it. It doesn't add the "Shortcut to", either, just the arrow symbol on the icon to let you know it's a shortcut.

    I'm using StartIsBack++ on my main desktop, and it allows "Create shortcut" in the right-click context menu for "Modern" Apps. The behavior is the warning "Windows cannot create a shortcut here, do you want one on the desktop" and select Yes.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-10-24 at 12:48.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 653 Times in 576 Posts
    Shortcuts for Settings can be created on the desktop by using "locations" from this list: How to make shortcuts to Windows 10 settings on your Desktop

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

    Trev (2015-10-24)

  11. #10
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Shortcuts for Settings can be created on the desktop by using "locations" from this list: How to make shortcuts to Windows 10 settings on your Desktop
    That's a great tip!

  12. #11
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    As pointed out earlier by Bruce, this doesn't work for "Modern" apps.

    Jerry
    Not a matter of "doesn't work" but rather doesn't apply since Store APPs don't have file locations.

  13. #12
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Not a matter of "doesn't work" but rather doesn't apply since Store APPs don't have file locations.
    They do have file locations. They are in "Program Files\WindowsApps", with each App having its own folder and subfolders, such as "Microsoft.SkypeApp_3.2.1.0_neutral_~_kzf8qxf38zg5 c".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  14. #13
    Star Lounger beachboybogart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mexico for the time being...
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I see my problem now. By sheer coincidence, I have been trying to drag Folders (as indicated by down arrows). Okay, slap me around...

    However, this doesn't help with items like Device Manager which, due to the nature of my work, I like to have sitting on the desktop as a shortcut icon. For instance, while I can search for Device Manager using the Cortana box, I cannot right-click or left-drag on the results. Yes, I can get at it from Control Panel. But same thing applies to, for example, Administrative Tools or Accessories. The point here is NOT that they are unreachable; I am unhappy that they have removed this ease-of-access for no apparent reason.

    Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

  15. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 653 Times in 576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    However, this doesn't help with items like Device Manager which, due to the nature of my work, I like to have sitting on the desktop as a shortcut icon. For instance, while I can search for Device Manager using the Cortana box, I cannot right-click or left-drag on the results. Yes, I can get at it from Control Panel. But same thing applies to, for example, Administrative Tools or Accessories. The point here is NOT that they are unreachable; I am unhappy that they have removed this ease-of-access for no apparent reason.

    Thanks for all the tips, everyone.
    For Device Manager and Administrative Tools, you can right click on them in Control Panel and Create shortcut which will put them on the desktop.

    For Windows Accessories, you can drag any program from that All apps folder (e.g. Character Map, Notepad, Remote Desktop, Snipping Tool) to the desktop to create a shortcut.

  16. #15
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Y'all might well find it very nice, easy & helpful if you would make friends w/ the Power Users menu... Rt Clk Win logo OR hit Win+X

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

    camachousa (2015-11-02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •