Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Novice trying to use Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime

Hope someone can help a novice on this...

I'm trying to read a Microsoft Access database (MDB file). I do not have Office installed (because my old Office/XP CD has data errors, and MSFT won't replace CDs that old), so I'm trying Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I downloaded Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime from the MSFT site (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=10910 ), and ran the Setup. The message said "Installed Successfully".

My question: Now what the heck do I do? I tried clicking on a few of my MDB files but W10 then asks me which program it should use (Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime is not listed as a choice). How the heck can I read those files?

Any advice would sure be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alan

Thanks
    The runtime is to create a database for someone who hasn't got Access to run, it won't read a database first. You need a copy of Access to be bale to open your D/Bs. You will either have to purchase one, or ask someone with Access to read them for you. I don't think that Base (from Libre Office or Open Office) will open them (but I can't check this at the moment).

Others might know of ways to read Access databases without Access, but I'm afraid I don't.

Right, just tried opening an Access db in LibreOffices Base (their database app). You have to 'Connect to an existing database' and select 'Microsoft Access' on the dropdown with JDBC in it. That will open your tables. I'll check if forms et al work (VBA won't).

Second edit - it looks like only tables are available, it won't give you forms or queries.

Third edit - I suppose that I should have said that LibreOffice is free.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-10-24 at 09:08. Reason: Yet more info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1
    I tried clicking on a few of my MDB files but W10 then asks me which program it should use (Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime is not listed as a choice). How the heck can I read those files?
    Hi Alan - That's strange. I just downloaded the 32-bit runtime from the link you gave and installed it in Windows 10 Pro. When I clicked on an old Access 97 .MDB file the forms example came straight up no problem.

access runtime.png
    Click to enlarge

Try again but this time, when W10 asks which program to use, browse to the MSACCESS.EXE file.

access runtime1.png
    Click to enlarge

Have a look at What is the difference between Access and the Microsoft Access Runtime? for a brief description.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-10-24 at 09:32.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-24)

Thanks
    Rick, I don't think the OP has Access installed, so your suggestion won't work (or at least I don't think it will)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb
    Rick, I don't think the OP has Access installed, so your suggestion won't work (or at least I don't think it will)
    I don't have Access installed either, just the runtime that the OP is referring to. The OP should be able to use pre-existing .MDBs (e.g. to enter data, use pre-existing forms, etc.) but won't be able to edit, add or create additional functionality to the database structure itself.

This why Access developers distribute the runtime to end-users... so they can't edit the database structure, only manipulate data, use forms and reports, etc. that the developer has created.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-10-24 at 09:48.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-24)

Thanks
    OK Rick, the description seemed (to me) to imply you needed Access to create runtimes for those who didn't have Access but not that it would open databases. But experience trumps descriptions!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Rick (and everyone). I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong.

When I installed the RT (and it said successfully) the \Office folder it created contains only a DLL and one other non-EXE. I did Search for an "Access.exe" but did not succeed.

I even tried the Setup a second time and that time I chose "Repair". Again it seemed to succeed, but alas, no Access.exe to be found.

(Did the RT package create that "Office 14" directory for you? I do not have a similar directory. I only have that \Office directory that's pretty much empty.)

I can't imagine the 64-bit RT is different from the 32. In any event, I am still lost

Thanks again,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hi Alan - That's strange. I just downloaded the 32-bit runtime from the link you gave and installed it in Windows 10 Pro. When I clicked on an old Access 97 .MDB file the forms example came straight up no problem.

access runtime.png
    Click to enlarge

Try again but this time, when W10 asks which program to use, browse to the MSACCESS.EXE file.

access runtime1.png
    Click to enlarge

Have a look at What is the difference between Access and the Microsoft Access Runtime? for a brief description.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by AlanB1; 2015-10-24 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Hi Alan,

Yes, the run-time installer created the Office 14 folder and sub-folders.

Do you have an antivirus program running (other than Win 10's built-in Defender)? If so, try temporarily disabling it and doing the install again - not Repair - from a fresh download, in case the installer has a problem.

Also, make sure you are using the 32-bit installer, not the 64-bit installer.

(This is advice from Microsoft: "We recommend the 32-bit version of Office for most users, because it's more compatible with most other applications, especially third-party add-ins. This is why the 32-bit version of Office 2013 is installed by default, even on 64-bit Windows operating systems. On these systems, the 32-bit Office client is supported as a Windows-32-on-Windows-64 (WOW64) installation. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that enables 32-bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows systems. This lets users continue to use existing Microsoft ActiveX Controls and COM add-ins with 32-bit Office." The same advice applies to Office 2010, including the Access 2010 Runtime.)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-10-24 at 17:54.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-25)

jwoods
    You might try one of the free .MDB viewers listed here...

http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-be...ewer-software/

I personally use LibreOffice Base.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick,

Thank you again for your help - much appreciated!

I have made some progress, thanks to your most-recent post. I Removed the 64-bit version I'd been trying, and I installed the 32-bit version.

I could see right away that this was the right choice because the Setup took a couple of minutes (unlike the 64-bit Setup which took maybe 3 seconds). Sure enough, I now have the \Office 14 (with MSAccess.exe!) folder.

I then tried to open a couple of the .MDBs in question and they do open, but I immediately get this message:

Capture.PNG

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to proceed further (when I click "OK" the databases close immediately).

Thanks again,

Alan

P.S. - Sadly, the person who developed these databases a few years back has disappeared.

Thanks
    As I said in my post #2, and as jwoods has suggested also, why not try Base in the LibreOffice suite (free)? You will at least be able to get the tables back, even if not the forms or queries. It is quite simple to use as well.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

I have just installed Libre and indeed its OfficeBase does open the MDB tables so I can view them. This is a great help for me.

Libre does not permit me to open any of the Queries included in the databases, unfortunately, so I'd still like to get the W10 Runtime working.

(BTW, I just found, buried on my hard drive, the Windows 2000 RT version. I recall that it worked for these databases on my W7 PC. Would I have a problem if I tried to install it on my W10 PC as I already have the W2010 RT installed?)

Thank you again,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    As I said in my post #2, and as jwoods has suggested also, why not try Base in the LibreOffice suite (free)? You will at least be able to get the tables back, even if not the forms or queries. It is quite simple to use as well.

Thanks
    Hi Alan,

The error 2544 shows the Access 2010 runtime can't reference (find) a database object needed to open the database container. I'm at the limit of my Access knowledge here but if you were able to use the database with an earlier version of the Access runtime then there is no harm trying to un-install the Access 2010 runtime and installing an earlier one. A quick Google search shows others having issues with the Access 2010 runtime yet earlier versions of the runtime working for them.

Try the Access 2007 runtime (downloadable from Microsoft here). Have a look here for more info.

Hope this helps...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-26)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Alan,

I tried this in a Win 10 Virtual Machine:

1. Install the Access2010 Runtime.
    2. Copy a .mdb file into the VM.
    3. Double Click the .mdb in File Explorer

The file opened right up to the Startup Form after a message about trusted code. That is important as you MUST have the Database set to automatically startup a form that will have the controls to allow the user to navigate w/o the use of the Ribbon.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-26),rodsmine (2015-11-06)

Thanks
    The runtime is to create a database for someone who hasn't got Access to run, it won't read a database first.
    That is not true.

The Access Runtime can only "read" database and "execute". The Runtime version is the same bits as the full version with all the designers and navigation pane disabled.

The Access runtime is a "viewer" is similar to a PDF viewer if ofr PDF files. A PDF viewer can open the PDF and fill out forms but it can't edit/desing it like the full version of Adobe Acrobat.

OK Rick, the description seemed (to me) to imply you needed Access to create runtimes for those who didn't have Access but not that it would open databases. But experience trumps descriptions!
    To open an Access database and view the forms and report you MUST have a version of Access.

There are two versions:

1) The full version which also has the ability to design (create/edit) forms, reports, queries,, modules,

2) The Runtime version. No designer capabilities. When opening a database with the Access Runtime you do not have the navigation pane (or database windows in 2003 and older). To use the Access Runtime to view a database it has to be configure properly. If there is not an autoexec macro to open a "startup" form or the startup form option has not been set you will get just a blank window.

I have been selling Access applications using the Access Runtime since it was first released for Access 97. There has been much confusion on what it is and how to use it. Prior to Avcess 2007 you have to purchase the Access Developer kit to get a license that gave you the rights to deploy the Access runtime. Starting with Access 2007 the Runtime and deployment tools became free. I never us the 2007 and later Package and Deployment Wizard. There really is not need. You can simply download the free Access runtime and install it. Copy you .accde or .accdb to the PC with the Access runtime and double click it. I prefer to create a shortcut to open it.

One of the issue with using the Acess 2007 an later rutime is the new security mode. The Access runtime does not have the ability to set eh trusted locations for the GUI. You have to set do it some other way.

This may help: What is the Access Runtime Version?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-10-26),AlanB1 (2015-10-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast