Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Help w/New Video Card Purchase

Hey Y'all,

Ok, I'll confess right up front "I don't know nothin' about buyin' no graphics cards!"

My current card is:
    CurrentVideo.JPG

I'm looking at a new card to see if it will boost my overall performance (I'm not a gamer):
    WinExpIndex.JPG

Will another graphics card help? I do use dual monitors and tend to have a lot of windows open especially when I'm coding/testing.

I'm looking at these two modestly priced cards:

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

and

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2958-KR

FYI: Full system specs in my signature below.

What say all you HW Gurus?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Not being a gamer I doubt you'd see much of a performance boost, you should get a decrease in noise levels though, possibly less power consumed as well.

Of your options, the EVGA is newer and quieter, I'd opt for the SC+ version of that, dual fans (that only kick in above 60C) but not clocked too high (less power needed).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It will improve your Windows score, but I suspect that doesn't matter much to you.

With two 23" monitors running at 1080p it is quite possible that a card with 2GB video RAM would help juggling all those pixels. Not sure if you tax the graphics enough to see a difference between a Dell HD7570(or 7510?)(OEM) and a 750Ti or 950. Either is a big graphics step up. The 950 is the better performer, but I don't know if it is worth it for $30 more.

If 300W PSU go with the 750Ti. >=350W PSU either.

Thanks
    Well auto save did not help me this time just plain lost it..
    I will try to reiterate.
    Most if not all reviews of GPUs are oriented towards Gamers, I have been making the assumption that for a regular web cruiser what matters is a good amount of fast memory and a fast clock. I bought a GIGABYTE GV-R726XOC-2GD Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 last year for $120. It feels quite spritely to me!

I use places like this when I am looking for new components:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

If you have a special need, video perhaps, that would be your main criteria.

BTW what is your MS performance rating??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David,

6.8 as it shows in the 2nd graphic in Post #1.

Mostly my machine runs fine and there are only a couple of places where there is a noticeable lag.

One is when running a PowerShell script that uses Windows Forms to display the results. However, I don't know if this is a video delay rendering the multi-tabbed form or a processing delay gathering all the information that goes in the form.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

jwoods
    It would be interesting to see what GPU usage looks like when you experience the lag.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

6.8 as it shows in the 2nd graphic in Post #1.

Mostly my machine runs fine and there are only a couple of places where there is a noticeable lag.

One is when running a PowerShell script that uses Windows Forms to display the results. However, I don't know if this is a video delay rendering the multi-tabbed form or a processing delay gathering all the information that goes in the form.

That would seem to be a third party s/w.
    Untitled.png

The MS one only goes to 7.9.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too don't believe a newer graphics card will make much difference to you. It might lighten your wallet a bit though!

- the Windows Experience Index is determined by the lowest rating of any of the measured components;
    - your rating of 6.8 is very respectable;
    - the system I'm on now only gets a 4.9 (integrated graphics, the Achilles heel of this system).

The graphics power of a discrete graphics card comes from their ability to apply a viewport to a 3D space, render the polygons and apply bitmaps to everything. Then to do that quickly and repeatedly, preferably at around 60 frames/second. Unless you are gaming, or doing rendered 3D CAD work, it's hard to see how a more powerful video card will make any significant difference for you in your software development environment.

Thanks
    If the current Dell HD 75xx series card uses DDR3, it would be a more noticeable upgrade to move to a newer GDDR5 card.

I suspect your lag as described is down to kernel CPU/paging, rather than any shortcomings in the GPU.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I suspect your lag as described is down to kernel CPU/paging, rather than any shortcomings in the GPU.
    Satrow,

I wouldn't think that would be a problem with an i-7 4770 Haswell @ 3.4Ghz& 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory.

BTW: the AMD Radeon HD 7500 has 1Gb GDDR5 memory.

So It looks like I'll have to find some other toy to buy...shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks to all for your input.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It only takes one 'bad' driver or some background paging going on to cause the type of lag that you describe (Check for kernel CPU%, excess DPC/ISR calls as well as page file access during the lag.)

If the card is GDDR5, no real need that I can see to upgrade it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    ics card will make much difference to you. It might lighten your wallet a bit though!

- the Windows Experience Index is determined by the lowest rating of any of the measured components;
    - your rating of 6.8 is very respectable;
    - the system I'm on now only gets a 4.9 (integrated graphics, the Achilles heel of this system).

t.
    Again what RG posted is a 3rd party tool result NOT the Windows Experience Index. You are comparing apples to oranges!

David

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Again what RG posted is a 3rd party tool result NOT the Windows Experience Index. You are comparing apples to oranges!
    Don't think so. RG posted 2 images, the second of which clearly indicated it showed the Windows Experience Index. Did you click through to the second image? I'm betting you did not.

Furthermore, even 3rd party reporting of original data, is entirely valid. As long as the 3rd party tool does not alter the data in any way which misstates or misleads, the data is the same. I have no reason to believe that RG meant to do anything but represent the situation correctly, nor do I have reason to believe his screen shots are problematic.

Thanks
    BHarder,

The image I posted in post #1 was created by a third party tool called Winaero WEI tool v1.0. Win 8.1 no longer has the Windows WEI available. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The Gui IS missing the following is a link to a batch file and Powershell script that gives the result

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...th-powershell/

I imagine it will actually give the same result as the winero s/w. What threw me was the range of WEI values has changed from 7.9 to 9.9.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast