Lounger
    Thanks

Question Laptop AC Adapter Compatibility Question

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-ABT2G22 laptop that came with a PA5083U-1ACA adapter. It's a 120W adapter with 12V-6.32A output.

I found an old Toshiba adapter lying around and I'm wondering if it would work with my laptop. (For the life of me, I can't remember what other Toshiba equipment I've owned, or what this adapter came with.) It's a PA3822U-1ACA. It's just 40W with 19V-2.37A output. It does plug into the laptop just fine.

Will it work? Would it damage the laptop? Or would it just be underpowered?

Thanks,
    Keith

Thanks
    I would not try it.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

magicspeller (2015-10-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I won't, unless I can convinced by someone more knowledgeable than I am....

jwoods
    When in doubt, check with the vendor...

http://us.toshiba.com/accessories/Po...s/PA5177U-1ACA

Thanks
    You can't use the old adapter with your current laptop.

If the voltage matched, and the old adapter put out the same as or more than the current adapter (or even just a little bit less), I think you'd be fine. But the old adapter puts out too much voltage and way less watts & amps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My mistake, mrjimphelps. I mistyped; both are 19 volts, as jwoods' link showed. (I did check with Toshiba sales before posting here, and they gave me a link to the adapter they recommend, but I didn't think to look this one up, so thanks.)
    And yes, "way less watts & amps" is true.

Thanks again, everyone.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I was going to say almost all laptop power is 19v, but you've cleared that up.
    The output current is what you need to run the laptop and charge the battery. If the "correct" charger is 6A then a charger with only 2A output won't run the laptop, but it will charge the battery with the laptop off.
    Thus you can use the old charger as a spare battery charger only.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Make sure the polarity is correct. For example, "+" needs to either be on the tip on both adapters or on the outer sleeve on both adapters. It probably is, because they are both made by the same manufacturer. But verify it, just to be sure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    12V to 19V will fry the laptop if the connector fits.

Voltage must match. Watts need to be the same or greater in the new one so enough power can be delivered on demand. Polarity of the connector needs to be the same.

One of these polarity symbols should be on the old and new AC/DC transformer. Usually in the black plastic and hard to notice.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-28 at 19:13.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the case of watts, you really need to know what the wattage requirement is on the laptop. Your power supply needs to be able to provide at least as much as the laptop requires. It can be more, but not less or the power supply may overheat.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-10-29 at 09:28.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    In the case of watts, you really need to know what the wattage requirement is on the laptop. Your power supply needs to be able to provide at least as much as the laptop requires. It can be more, but not less or the power supply may overheat.
    Very true. Most of my Notebooks use either 65W or 90W supplies. Too reaffirm, one needs to check that a tip fits the socket, that the polarity is correct, sufficient wattage. I keep a couple of the 'kits' on hand that have a number of interchangeable tips to fit Notebooks that get brought to me for repair but folks forget the power adapter. Dell, HP and Targus have been good and can be found at Wal*Mart, BestBuy, office stores, etc. BestBuy has their store brand that should be good.