Lounger
    Thanks

Need macro for marking items for TOC in Word 2010

Can someone help me figure out how to record a macro to mark items for the TOC in Word 2010? I know there's a way to do it but for the life of me I've not been able to figure it out and have been trying for over a week. I've read the links I was provided about recording macros but that didn't help me (frankly they were over my head a bit). Some of them had some examples of things to try and I tried following along and was able to do a few of them but even some of the things you were supposed to do in those samples I couldn't get it to do even when I did it exactly as they said. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Guess my hair is too blonde for it LOL.

I'm needing to mark things for level 1 and 2 of the TOC. Here's the steps I did to record the macro for TOC1.
    1. Clicked on View tab> Record macro
    2. Gave it a name, filled out the description and then clicked on Keyboard and then clicked ALT+8 for shortcut key and clicked Close.
    3. (With the little cassette tape icon showing for my mouse cursor indicating it was recording) I typed the following keys: ALT+S+A then arrow keyed down to Level 1 and pressed enter.
    4. Then I used my mouse to go up and clicked on View tab>Stop recording.

Then I pressed ALT+8 and NOTHING. I clicked on ALT+S+A to check to see if it had marked it but it didn't. I even tried highlighting the text to be marked first before recording the macro and then going through the same steps above with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Besides everything LOL.

I know someone will say I'm supposed to use the VBA editor or whatever to record them but in order to do that I have to know how to tell it to do what I want.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Is there a good reason for not using Word's Heading Styles for this?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Unless there is a reason, use the heading styles built into Word, as indicated by Paul. Here are some resources.
    Why use the built-in heading styles?
    How to create a table of contents.

You can apply the Heading 1 style by clicking anywhere in a paragraph and pressing Ctrl+Alt+1. Do not select any text, just click in the paragraph.
    Similar shortcuts are built-in for Heading 2 and Heading 3.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-10-28 at 08:21.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

naiveblueeyes (2015-10-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in responding to you both. I'm not really sure if I can use just one style for level 2 TOC. The text that I am marking is authors' names and some of them have a hyperlink to their website. All of the level 2 text will be bold and centered so that at least will be consistent but the hyperlink is not so I'm not sure how that would affect a style? That was the issue I was running into with the macro. Level 1 won't be any problem. It's just bold and centered text. I know it tries to use Heading 1 but I can't stand the formatting on it and I know you're not really supposed to modify those. I could create a style but I'm note sure how it would work with the hyperlink issue?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    There is nothing in what you've posted to suggest Word's built-in Heading Styles can't be used. Nor is there any reason you can't modify their formatting to suit your needs. Hyperlinks don't affect heading Styles, though applying a Heading Style to the paragraph containing a hyperlink may change the hyperlink's appearance slightly.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

naiveblueeyes (2015-10-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much! That was so simple! I was definitely over-thinking it LOL. I did create a separate style to use for marking text for level 1 & 2 TOC so I'd have my formatting without having to modify one of the existing styles. I was able to figure that out with a simple Google search and found something on www.dummies.com which is right up my alley :-) Thanks again for your help!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I've decided that I'm either cursed or Word has it out for me. Right after I created the first style I thought it was great that all was right with the world and I could go on my merry way so I thanked you and then went back and tried to create the second one and....Word crashed :-( When I restarted it my file was there in the recovered files thing and I thought all was well...WRONG! But I didn't know it. I kept working trying to get the second one created and got it but then they wouldn't mark the text for TOC. They would add the formatting for the style when I pressed the shortcut key but that was it. Then I tried using one of my other macros and nothing happened. So I thought maybe I was using the wrong shortcut key for it and when I went in to view my macros to see what macro name went with what text (to jog my memory for what keys to use) I saw that ALL of my macros are GONE!! See what I mean by being cursed?

Thanks
    I still haven't seen a reason to not use the built-in heading styles.

The TOC only picks up paragraph-level styles. If you created a linked style and applied it to something less than a full paragraph, it will not pick up. I would suggest re-reading the pages I linked earlier.

You can also use TC fields, but I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-10-28 at 15:39.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I finally broke down and modified Header 1 & 2 to use my formatting for levels 1 & 2 of TOC and now it's working. I also got all of my macros successfully re-recorded and miracle of miracles they actually work! I was definitely due some good luck since I just found out my dad has prostrate cancer. Thank you both for all of your help and for all the links you posted.