Thanks

Screwy names - and I know how but not why

OK, usually, when I set up any version of Windows, including "10", there has been a user set up matching the login that I create in the Control Panel. In "10" though I for some reason was struggling with setting up the MS Insider user and also having a local user.

This time, I got lucky I thought, and have both the Insider user "Microsoft Insider" and my local user "CWBillow" set up without incident.

I just noticed though that Although Windows created the users with the correct names for login etc. the user folder for the Insider account is named "cwbil.DESKTOP-OEMK6EK" instead of the name given the user itself of "Microsoft Insider."

Although it may seem a small thing, since it is also readily recognizable, fully workable, and at some point will be "retired" I suppose, the idea of whether and if so how one would modify the name of the user folder might be of need at some point.

Is it possible to modify the created name?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    You could try changing CWBillow to admin account, then delete the other one, and try to reset it up. Create another local account, then connect it to Microsoft. Why do you have two accounts anyway? The way I set up my computer is to first set up a local account DAVE. Then the user folder is named DAVE. Just as soon as I log on the very first time, I immediately switch it to my Microsoft Account, and verify it. The folder keeps DAVE. I only use the one MS Account. It serves all my needs as I am the only person operating this computer.

Thanks
    I read so many differing opinions and methods to correct "wrongly" named user folders, and, at the same time saw no indication from Microsoft of a solution or plans to create one, that I just went back to the beginning and (tried to) carefully control the process of setting up the users.

This time it seemed to work fine. I dunno why at all, but I do know that I made a backup of just the users so that I wouldn't have to go through that process again.

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't seem to remember the process being as convoluted in Windows 7. I actually even considered installing "7" and creating the users there, and then upgrading to "10" if it didn't resolve soon. Luckily it did.

I would think that Microsoft in its wisdom could and should make the process a bit less tenuous. If everything goes as planned, one has no problem, but if something does go awry as it did for me, it is like trying to escape quick mud.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"