New Lounger
    Thanks

Fingerprint SignIn Not Available

I just received the new Surface keyboard with a fingerprint reader. I hooked it up to my Win-10 (Build 10565) Surface Pro 3 only to find that the fingerprint option isn't available to me in "sign-in options." There is a notice at the top that "Security policies on this PC are preventing some options from being chosen." I've restarted several times.

Can anyone suggest any way other of getting the fingerprint option available other than appealing to my institution's security mafia? It has to be better than most passwords.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You probably need to wait for a Win10 update and possibly an SP3 firmware update.

Joe

Thanks
    If your institution has issued you this computer, and if your computer is set up to log in to the corporate domain, they may in fact have a security policy which is not allowing you to sign in with the fingerprint reader. I know that this is how things work with previous versions of Windows.

If I'm right about this, then the only option you have is to appeal to the "security mafia". Your best bet would be to speak privately with someone in that dept, to see if they can help you out with this issue.

It may have been decided not to allow fingerprint login, for whatever reason. If this is the case, you are out of luck.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    A firmware update for the SP3 was released 10/26/2015. It adds support for the new SP4 keyboard.

If you haven't received yet just check for updates.

Joe