Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 checking for updates stalling

I have just done a full install of Windows 7 sp1 64bit and have noticed that I cannot get the updates to work. When I click on check for updates, the loader just sits there for hrs doing nothing. Whilst it is supposedly searching for updates, the whole system grinds to snail speed. This is the reason I did the re-install as it was happening on the computer prior. So I thought I would re-format and do a fresh install. Problem still not solved.
    When I get the computer to try and shut down. It seems to take forever to close. Obviously something is causing the system to hang, I have no idea...
    Last edited by Exfso2; 2015-10-26 at 23:54.

jwoods
    Are there any errors in the Event Logs?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It takes a long time to install W7 patches from scratch, I'd leave it running for a day.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Are there any errors in the Event Logs?
    As far as I can tell there are no event logs, it just sat there with the green line going backward and forward for 3 hrs. it is as though the whole update process is non existant!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally after 4 hrs of doing little, there now are 199 updates to download and install, no wonder the system was so slow. At least, at this time, it appears as it is doing what it is supposed to. Thanks for the feedback..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you using a wireless or wired connection as it could be a driver/connection problem with a new install, although that may not answer why you had the same problem before the new install - but using wired may help.

Edit - A case of slow fingers again as I see you are already there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hard wired is my setup..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the same problem of stuck on checking updates for the last 2 weeks with 3 fresh installs using Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise DVD. More from luck, two 64bit installs are now installing Windows Updates. A Win 7 32bit install on a laptop still does not work after 2 wipes and try again.
    What I have found is whether automatic updates or "check for updates" is set, as soon as the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 update is installed the problem starts.

As a fresh install and hard wired, the suggestions of 'turn off anti virus' and 'connect via cable' don't apply.
    I have tried:
    the Windows Update troubleshooter (Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> System and Security -> Fix Problems with Windows Update
    running Disk Cleanup in Safe Mode
    various "reset Windows Update" bat files (look for Reset_Windows_Update_Full )
    FIX WU Utility

The only hope I got was trying Heise WSUSOffline, but got a bit lost on what updates to apply. I will probably try this path again for the problem laptop.
    After a while of trying repairs I seemed to mangle Windows and no matter what I did the Trouble Shooter had things it couldn't fix.

A short while ago I got the 2nd Win 7 SP1 64bit install to work - here was the path:
    - clean install with SP1
    - manual install of some updates like IE 11 and .Net 3.51
    - soon as Windows Update pulled down the update agent update, run a Full Reset of Windows Update bat file which renames softwaredistribution folder, renames catroot2 folder and reregisters all the update DLLs
    - ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and after a long time it was ready to install the updates (which come to about 180 - 195 all up depending on what you do manually)

Hope that helps someone, but Microsoft really need to fix that Windows Update Agent.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This seems to relate to a problem I have.

Long story short, my sis in law allowed W10 to install over W7 on her laptop, then her HP printer wouldn't work, so she Googled the problem and telephoned what she thought was HP support. She allowed them to remotely access her laptop for 30 mins when they told her she had been hacked etc etc, and demanded money to "clean" her system.

Realising that she was being scammed she hung up, but contacted me for help as I know a little bit more than she does about computers and, to be on the safe side, in case they had installed a key logger or similar, I rolled her system back to W7 and restored it to factory settings. I recovered her emails and started Windows update. Windows asked me to download a piece of software in order to run Update which I did, however, after downloading and installing several updates including a major W7 service pack, Update seemed to freeze on "searching for updates" for hours.

I searched the Microsoft help pages and, as mentioned above, I tried the fix it tool that was recommended, after stopping the "searching" in task manager but, though it fixed some files, it told me that it could not fix Windows Update. IE is still version 8 so she is using an up to date Google Chrome as her browser but is it worth trying the Fix it again? Should I update IE to 11 without waiting for Windows Update to offer it? I'm not clever enough to edit the registry so any advice would be welcome. Thank you!
    Last edited by sylviesinc; 2015-11-03 at 15:57.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    WSUSOffline. Takes a while, but a lot faster (especially from a flash drive) than doing multiple rounds of Windows Update on a clean install.

You still need to run Windows Update afterwards and there will be quite a few optional updates present as well.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-03 at 16:42.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

LEWFARGE (2016-07-07),sylviesinc (2015-11-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a known issue with the Windows 7 update cache, where it gets corrupted and updating just hangs. I've come across it a few times, and the following seems to help:

1. Stop the update service. Open a command prompt and use the command net stop wuauserv.
    2. Open file explorer and hit View, Folder Options and enable the display of hidden files and folders.
    3. Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete the entire contents.
    4. Back at the command prompt, use net start wuauserv to restart the service.
    5. For good practice, re-hide hidden files and folders.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2016-05-17),sylviesinc (2015-11-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In between the net stop and start wuauserv cmds, adding ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old will also remove the update history without having to display hidden files to manually remove the contents, but the cmd prompt needs to be run as an administrator.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2016-05-17),sylviesinc (2015-11-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure that I'm technically competent enough to try any of these but I'll download WSUSOFFLINE on to my flash drive and see if I can work out what to use on that first before I try anything else. Thanks for the advice

jwoods
    Good tutorial video on WSUS Offline...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2015-11-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's fantastic, thank you so much!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast