New Lounger
    Thanks

Revert Back to the "As Installed" Configuration Settings; Win 10 Original

I updated from Win 7 to Win 10. I have since made changes, to the many of those default configuration settings. Some changes led to results I do not now like, ala in the task bar: the clock no longer is displayed; the Window's Pane (lower left) no longer brings ups a menu and a few other issues.

Is there a way that I can revert back to the Original, as my OS was after that OS upgrade ? Ergo return to the Win 10 install default settings??

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Go to Start | Settings | Update and Security | Recovery | Reset this PC. Choose the method you wish. Be careful you may delete all your files.

Make sure all your personal files are backed up before starting the reset process.

Joe

Thanks
    This is a very good example of why we so strenuously advocate the use of drive imaging;
    So that one can simply and easily get back to that original starting point before you've made complicated changes
    you thought you might like but now don't.

You are either now going to have to go back in a "line-by-line" way and revert all those changes made, or suck it up
    and do a reset, as Joe makes mention of.

Get to know and understand drive imaging and restoration, it'll just make your computer life a whole lot less of a hassle.
    You can trust what I'm saying because I've been there and done that too.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-10-27 at 13:02.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a recommended (maybe free?) app that can image my C drive, before I follow your suggestion, as you noted come with risks?

What precautions should I beware of - surely I do not want to lose my personal files, currently installed apps etc as I run that Reset process

jwoods
    Macrium Reflect has been recommended here frequently...

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Thanks
    +1 for Macrium Reflect
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Also make a record of all your changes. If you are changing a registry setting, export the original before you modify. Give it a suitable name. You can also keep a record in notepad. Make sure you update it. Most likely what you have changed can be easily undone without resetting your PC.

Thanks
    ++Absolutely agree on that point.
    I always create a list in a note or WordPad doc detailing any and all complicated
    tweaks and other changes I make. This helps quite a bit especially with remembering which service & registry changes
    I've made.

I also use Macrium Reflect. The most important thing is to;
    1. Create a fully bootable MR restoration USB stick.
    2. Ensure that you can boot with it and access the image file(s) you've made.
    3. Test the damn thing by restoring an image.
    4. Never rely on a singular method to back up your data.

The OS doesn't add up to dry shit, the only thing that is important is your data.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-10-28 at 20:19.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.