3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Windows 10 Start menu IS GONE

I have just last week successfully upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now just as I thougth things were going well I have a MAJOR problem. As I was in my black default Start menu in the lower left corner looking as some of the option on display on the right half, I suddenly lost my Start menu with recent applications and such and I cannot reenable it and am in a panic. I assume I likely disabled i6 or shut it off, but I have no clue what I did so cannot reenable it

I tried rebooting, thinking that would reopen to the default settings, but that did no good at all. Now I'm afraid I will make things worse by doing something wrong trying to resolve the problem. :-( PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Is there a setting to return the Start menu back to the original default settings anywhere, and if so how do I find it with the Start button not working?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -- I just looked at my System Restore, pondering trying that in my desperation, and I noticed something. There have been THREE updates awaiting in the queue for a few days now, and it seems at least TWO of them were automatically updated at roughly the time I was working with the Start menu that now does not work. They are not named so can only guess which 2 were updated, but I do know that one of them was HP printer software that now has been UNinstalled? Can that cause such a problem as this. . .either an updated for software no longer installed, or else my using the now gone Start menu when the autoupdate feature decided to come alive at the same time?
    Last edited by decann; 2015-10-27 at 16:17. Reason: Additional information

David E. Cann

jwoods
    You might try the troubleshooting steps in this article...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-...pen-windows-10

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, While I appreciate your reply and trying to help, I have no clue what this pamphlet is talking about. I'm at best an intermediate computer user and have oo clue what an "elevated command prompt or an "elevated Power Shell" are, much less how to follow the directions here that clearly are for people with a more advanced knowledge of computers than I have. For this reason, I will just have to call someone tomorrow and just pay a professional to make the repairs. I was hoping to avoid having to do that, but at this point that seems to be what needs to be done. Thank you again for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might try the troubleshooting steps in this article...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-...pen-windows-10

David E. Cann

jwoods
    An "elevated" Command Prompt means running it as an Administrator.

To do that, type cmd in the search box. An entry cmd.exe should display.

Right-click on that entry, and select Run as administrator from the menu selections.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-27 at 20:26. Reason: Changed instructions for no start menu.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you anyway, but I still don't understand the technical directions. I have an appointment now for tomorrow morning to get it fixed by a professional. Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    An "elevated" Command Prompt means running it as an Administrator.

To do that, type cmd in the search box. An entry cmd.exe should display.

Right-click on that entry, and select Run as administrator from the menu selections.

David E. Cann

jwoods
    You bet...good luck!

Thanks
    David:

You might be able to easily fix this by installing Classic Shell, a free program which gives you a Windows 7 style start button.

When you go to the computer repair folks, you might ask them to install and configure Classic Shell for you -- the process can be a bit confusing.

They can set it up for you so that you never see the Windows 10 interface. You will think you are running Windows 7, when in fact you are running Windows 10.

Good luck!

Jim