Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 and XP Mode

Because of all the 'negative vibes' on the Internet regarding Win 10 I have avoided upgrading. However, if I DO decide to upgrade, does anyone know if an XP Mode VPN can be created in Win 10? I have a few 'old favourites' in XP which I still use today in my Win 7 pro machine. Many thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    No. XP mode was a special VM created for Win7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate only. You may be able to find information on the internet about using an XP mode VHD in Win10's Hyper-V. Note: this would be a license violation.

If you have an old XP licenses available you could install it in Hyper-V.

Joe

Thanks
    I wonder if buying Windows 7 Pro, making W10-W7 dual-booting computer, then VM'g XP Mode "inside of W7Pro" -- would all of that be ok?
    I do see one problem, any pre-XP software making a hard-ware call, might run right into a brick wall, inspite of compatability setting. Somebody lemmie know if I'm correct.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I wonder if buying Windows 7 Pro, making W10-W7 dual-booting computer, then VM'g XP Mode "inside of W7Pro" -- would all of that be ok?
    If you could get that to work ... ok. I'd buy XP-Pro and run it in a virtual machine using VMWare Workstation 12 Player or VirtualBox. FAR more convenient.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can run XP Pro in Hyper-V.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Huh? That's supposed to be impossible. XP Mode is a special version of WinXP. I know I tried it and it failed miserably.
    I have always been under the impression the process is 2 files, installing XP Mode on Win7 allows using the special version of WinXP Pro and better.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
    I have WinXP Mode available but having a separate WinXP computer haven't had a need or WinXP Mode yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I unapproved a series of posts above because they contain information on violating the EULA for Windows7 Pro & XP mode.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I unapproved a series of posts above because they contain information on violating the EULA for Windows7 Pro & XP mode.
    Hope this isn't out of line.

VMWare does say you can convert XP Mode and there is even an option for it, but as far as I can tell it doesn't work. Even if it does, it turns out there is a caveat:
    There are limitations to using XP Mode in Workstation:
    --The XP mode virtual machine can only be run on a host that supports XP Mode natively.
    --Only one XP Mode virtual machine can run on the host at a time.
    IOW, you may be able to do it on a Win7 Pro computer but you can't move that to a Win10 machine.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the ONLY thing getting XP Mode exported and able to run on Windows 10 can do is HELP with upgrades to Windows 10. At worst it's net neutral but if someone knows they can run a long established XP Mode VM on Win 10 there is a slight favoring toward going to Windows 10, though that may not actually count as the reason for many to upgrade from Windows 7. Unless there is something I missed in my analysis of course.

Hopefully it's ok to post a link to the VMWare Converter Standalone? It's not related to any one form of VM, or indeed, the source doesn't have to be virtual at all and I think they are a company in good standing.

Thanks
    From Sysinternals on Technet:

Physical-to-virtual hard drive migration of a Windows installation is a valid function for customers with Software Assurance and full retail copies of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. Software Assurance provides users valuable benefits—please contact Microsoft Corporation for further information. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 installed by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) using OEM versions of these products may not be transferred to a virtual hard drive in accordance with Microsoft licensing terms.
    Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Rick, does that mean having OEM Windows 10 and a Microsoft Windows 7Pro [or better] dual-booting with Windows XP Mode "inside of Windows 7 Pro's VM" -- is not ok, or is ok? I'm trying to understand so that I never even accidentally give incorrect/software-illegal advice, thanks
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Quick answer? Yes, it's OK, IMO.

My understanding is that if you have a device that came with Windows 10 (i.e. OEM) and to that device you add Windows 7 Pro (which I assume is a retail version, as OEM versions are not transferable from the original device) as a dual-boot OS then it's fine to run the XP Mode VM within Win 7 Pro.

I say 'my understanding' to cover myself... 'cos the only MS info I could find was a TechNet article that offers slightly confusing information. In a Benefits section (top of the article) it shows "Windows® XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC are free downloads for Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate".

However, the info in a Licensing Considerations section lower down the page is subtly different: "There are no special licensing requirements for using Windows XP Mode; it is free if you have Windows 7 Premium, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate." Note that there is no mention of Windows 7 Professional in the only section that specifically deals with licensing.

To be honest, it must be just a typo as there isn't a Windows 7 Premium version, only a Windows 7 Home Premium version... so it must actually mean Windows 7 Professional. I doubt you'll have Horacio Gutierrez banging on your door.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-02-29 at 17:13. Reason: Corrected broken link

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was rather under the impression that an OEM license cannot be activated inside a VM. I've been known to have my head up my rear from time to time, so I won't swear to this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    "...an OEM license cannot be activated inside a VM..."
    I think you accidentally misread something. What Rick and I are nailing down is: If one has a dual-booting computer, and one of those two dual-boots is a True-Blue, retail version, Windows 7 Professional, then both the Microsoft-supplied VM engine [or a 3rd party VM engine] and the Microsoft-supplied Windows XP Mode can be installed "within" said MS retail Windows 7 Professional.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-02-29 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    ... then both the Microsoft-supplied VM engine [or a 3rd party VM engine] and the Microsoft-supplied Windows XP Mode can be installed "within" said MS retail Windows 7 Professional.
    I'm not at all sure about '[or a 3rd party VM engine]'. The TechNet article makes no mention of any 3rd party VM engines, only Windows Virtual PC.

Another MS article shows "To use Windows XP Mode, you need to download and install Windows XP Mode, and Windows Virtual PC, the program that runs virtual operating systems on your computer.".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast