New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Mail Merge question(s)

Hi Macropod,

I've attached the coding files and output files I've been working on. Coding 1 has the full text. Coding 2 has just about 1/5 of the text. The MERGEFIELDS are still using your original tutorial data fields, I haven't gotten to make changes to those parts yet.

I've been going through your tutorial. I'm setting up a letter, that has text before and after the repeated data. The text after the data is a large amount. When I copy and paste the text and replace your tutorial text with my text, only about 1/5 of the full text is shown and the page break is no longer working. This is seen after i do FINISH&MERGE>edit individual.

Is there a limit to how much text I can have within the coding?

Also, coding1 output, do you know the reason for the extra TABS between COURSE and SECTION? There should just be one TAB. And one more thing, there's an "A" at the very top that shouldn't be there, why is that there?

Thank you,
    Looking forward to your assistance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Your output text problems are because you have double quotes around A, U & W, effectively terminating the output at that point. You will need to use single quotes instead - paired, if you prefer, to simulate double quotes.

As for the tabs, there are no extras between COURSE and SECTION. You need to look at how the tab-stops are being used and adjust their positioning to suit your requirements. Similarly, you should be using tab-stops yourself instead of repeated tab characters; otherwise you risk having formatting problems with the output.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have to take a look at the double quotes around A, U, W tomorrow.

Can you explain know more about what you mean by using stop-tabs myself instead of treated tab characters?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Word, tab-stops are used to position the location and alignments of tabs. These are basic document formatting tools.

Your attachment has default tab-stops set at 1.27cm (0.5in). In the paragraph containing 'COURSE, SECTION, DAYS, TIME, LIMIT/ACT, BLDG&ROOM', there is a left-aligned tab-stop at 6.83cm (2.69in). That tab-stop overrides the preceding 1.27cm (0.5in) default tab-stops, which accounts for the size of the space between COURSE & SECTION.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looks to be working out very well. I added a dummy last record to get the end text content to appear on the previous age.

How would I edit the text that I want to be shown on top of the hidden code? In your tutorial you had something like «City» «Representative» «Sales», and I'd do shift +F9 to view code.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the tutorial, «City», «Representative» & «Sales» are all mergefields for the repeated data. On pages 9 & 10, the tutorial uses colour-coding to show which parts of the field code create the content that is to appear before and/or after those fields.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]