Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,070
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 132 Times in 86 Posts

    Wrapping up a relatively mild month of updates


    PATCH WATCH



    Wrapping up a relatively mild month of updates


    By Susan Bradley

    My travels abroad proved timely October was a fairly quiet month for Windows and Office patching. The most important task was updating Flash Player for the second time in less than a week.

    The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/wrapping-up-a-relatively-mild-month-of-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

    Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

  2. #2
    2 Star Lounger csmart4125's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    questions on four updates

    Perhaps I missed them; nevertheless, I have questions about the following:
    kb 3085609, kb 3042058, kb 2999226, and kb 3083710.

    Thanks in advance for advice on these.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
    I can't access the article unfortunately as the site login seems to be down. It times out trying to get a secure server connection. That sort of issue is another reason I hate the move away from including complete articles in the newsletter!

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    I can't access the article unfortunately as the site login seems to be down. It times out trying to get a secure server connection. That sort of issue is another reason I hate the move away from including complete articles in the newsletter!
    +1
    The whole lounge is excruciatingly slow this morning.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lanarkshire, Scotland
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    Perhaps I missed them; nevertheless, I have questions about the following:
    kb 3085609, kb 3042058, kb 2999226, and kb 3083710.

    Thanks in advance for advice on these.
    Hi
    KB3042058 & KB3083710 Susan asks to skip both for now. She wants to wait a bit more to see if they are okay.

    KB3085609 MS15-110 See Windows Newsletter 15th Oct - Advice, Install update offered.

    KB2999226 - Sorry but cannot help with this one.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Bobjacq; 2015-10-31 at 12:00.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobjacq For This Useful Post:

    csmart4125 (2015-10-31)

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,746
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobjacq View Post
    KB2999226 - Sorry but cannot help with this one.
    That optional non-security update is mentioned in this article.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

    csmart4125 (2015-10-31)

  9. #7
    3 Star Lounger JC Zorkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    That optional non-security update is mentioned in this article.
    Did you mean to include a link to an article? Because there is no mention of KB2999226 in Susan's article.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2015-10-31 at 14:04. Reason: Grammer

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

    csmart4125 (2015-10-31)

  11. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,746
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    Did you mean to include a link an article? Because there is no mention of KB2999226 in Susan's article.
    Sorry, I got confused between two of Susan's article titles both starting with "Wrapping up ... ".

    She covered KB2999226 five weeks ago: Wrapping up an eventful summer of patching

    (She and Fred are both keen on "Wrapping up ...": http://windowssecrets.com/?s=Wrapping+up+)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-31 at 13:49.

  12. #9
    2 Star Lounger csmart4125's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Sorry, I got confused between two of Susan's article titles both starting with "Wrapping up ... ".

    She covered KB2999226 five weeks ago: Wrapping up an eventful summer of patching

    (She and Fred are both keen on "Wrapping up ...": http://windowssecrets.com/?s=Wrapping+up+)
    Bruce, I believe you, but I'll be d----d if I can find kb 2999226 in Susan's article of October 14. Please tell me what section you found it in, eg, Use a bit of caution with kernel updates, Problematic cipher-suite update reissued, etc.

    Thanks.

  13. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,746
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    Bruce, I believe you, but I'll be d----d if I can find kb 2999226 in Susan's article of October 14. Please tell me what section you found it in, eg, Use a bit of caution with kernel updates, Problematic cipher-suite update reissued, etc.

    Thanks.
    In her article of September 24, which I linked to, under September recap of Windows nonsecurity fixes.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

    csmart4125 (2015-10-31)

  15. #11
    2 Star Lounger csmart4125's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks, Bruce.

    I somehow got mixed up and went to the October 14 article.
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2015-10-31 at 15:13.

  16. #12
    jwoods
    Guest
    Woody wrote about KB2999226 in an InfoWorld article on 10/13...

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/299...b-3083710.html

    Among other patches, Susan's advice is...

    Microsoft gave us a bit of a break this month. The released nonsecurity patches are less about Win10-upgrade preparation and more about fixes for Windows 8.1. Here’s the list:

    KB 2999226 – Vista, Win7, Win8/8.1, Server 2008, Server 2012; Allows apps that require the Universal C RunTime component to run on earlier Windows versions

    - What to do: These updates are optional — install them only if needed.


    Newsletter Search.jpg
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-31 at 16:28.

  17. #13
    3 Star Lounger JC Zorkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
    I installed KB2999226 on my Win 7 and Win 8.1 systems back in September and have had no issues at all.

    The description sounded like it couldn't hurt to install; and doing so I don't have to keep track of another hidden update.

  18. #14
    2 Star Lounger csmart4125's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    11/7 There's a new version of adobe Shockwave, 12.2.1.171

    Win 7 Pro SP1, 3 GB RAM, Office 2010
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2015-11-08 at 00:43.

  19. #15
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobjacq View Post
    Hi
    KB3042058 & KB3083710 Susan asks to skip both for now. She wants to wait a bit more to see if they are okay.

    KB3085609 MS15-110 See Windows Newsletter 15th Oct - Advice, Install update offered.

    KB2999226 - Sorry but cannot help with this one.
    Cheers
    We never heard anything more, one way or the other, about KB3042058. At least, not that I've seen.

    Does anybody know if this update has been given the green light? It's not in Susan's Patch Watch column from today. Back in the October 15 column, she said to wait for her final report in the next Patch Watch, but there's been nothing further about it since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •