4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bizarre huge icons in Word 2010 Ribbon

I'm trying to configure Word 2010's Ribbon on my new laptop to match the customized version on my office computer. Word is not cooperating.

The customization consists of removing two of the standard groups in the Home Ribbon (Font and Paragraph) and creating two custom groups (also named Font and Ribbon) with the icons I need. I thought that if I opened the Customize Ribbon dialog on both machines and configured the laptop to mirror the office machine, everything would fall into place. Wrong. The groups on the laptop look nothing like their supposed twins on the office machine.

The problem is that the icons for certain obscure features, such as "Bold" and "Font Color," are small on the office machine and huge on the laptop. On the office machine the icons line up in a nice compact grid with three rows. On the laptop, some of the icons fill almost the entire height of the Ribbon, producing a single row of icons that straggles across the whole window.

My office machine has a 1920x1200 primary display and a 1920x1080 secondary display. My laptop has a 1920x1080 display. I don't think differences in display resolution can account for the problem.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, and suggest a way to fix it?

Thanks
    1. You can export the customizations from your desktop computer to a file, move that file to your laptop computer, and import it into Word there.

2. The difference in display resolution can account for what you are seeing. The Ribbon is designed to shrink display of icons when there is not room for them. This is intended to fill the space available. Using Word to modify the Ribbon will give you this default setting.

3. Customization through Word's user interface is far less flexible and powerful than by using XML customization. See Customize the Ribbon (It Doesn't Take Rocket Science).

4. You can learn just enough XML to modify the customization file from the Word interface to set the icon size to Small. Ribbon X I do this with QAT customization to change the icons and tooltips set by Word to something more meaningful. Modify QAT Button Images
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I found instructions for exporting and importing the customizations, and after I did that the laptop's Word ribbon looked exactly the way I wanted it.

Consequently this is no longer important, but the explanation of why the Ribbon looked different on the laptop really didn't make sense. Depending on how resolution is measured, my laptop's resolution is either exactly the same as my office machine's, or just a bit less. And if "The Ribbon is designed to shrink display of icons when there is not room for them," icons should be displayed smaller, not larger, on a lower resolution display. What happened does not make sense yet. But again, it's no longer important.

The XML stuff looks interesting, but it's so far outside my job description that I probably won't find time to look at it until I retire. Even so, it's nice to know that Microsoft has provided some way to get around the Ribbon's limitations and weirdnesses, even if it takes a minor research project to figure out!

Thanks
    Glad to have helped.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, when I applied these changes to my non-work laptop I got the same huge icons on a monitor with the same resolution as the one I use at work. So it apparently is not based on the monitor resolution. Charles's solution does fix it, though.