3 Star Lounger
    Garrisonville, Virginia

Replacing the Outlook.pst file in Outlook 2013

I am in serious need of some help. I'm running Outlook 2013 on Windows 10, and today I had an issue repaired in Windows. The repairs are done, but when I got my computer back my ages old Outlook pst file is a total disaster. The good news is that thanks to online backups, I am 99% sure that I can download my latest Outlook.pst file with only minimal loss of information, but how do I replace my damaged file with the replacement? I've been given very conflicting answers by two friends:

1. Simply delete the scrambled current copy, then replace it with the backup in the same location.

2. Delete the bad one, then "import" the replacement into the same place but he could offer no suggestion on how to do it.

Has anyone out there had any experience in such a thing, and if so can you offer any detailed steps to follow? #1 sounds just too simple to be true, but I'm not going to say it won't work without knowing. Please let me know if you know the answer. I am entirely lost without my Outlook information, and I need it back as soon as I can make it happen. Thank you for the help.

David E. Cann

Have you tried fixing the old PST file by using the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst)?

Otherwise, close the old .pst file from Outlook, rename it something like Outlook.pst.old, and then add the new .pst file to Outlook. (Instructions for Office 2010)...
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-28 at 23:28.