2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 - Windows Backup (traditional)

I actually like Windows Backup, the traditional tool for backup and restore. It still exists in Windows 10, and I was able to get it to do an image of my system. However, when I try to setup regularly scheduled backups, I get a variety of errors and never even get to setup the schedule. Only hint is that I'm using a 4gb external WD drive via USB3. I get errors like file locked, backup fails, setup never gets saved. The system is running Win 10 Professional, fully patched, normal release track. In the past, I'd done backups to a smaller external drive, and they had worked well enough. Any ideas?

jwoods
    Check the permissions on the new drive and check that it is compatible with Windows 10.

Example: This WD My Book 4 TB External Drive on Amazon is compatible up to Windows 8...

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-.../dp/B008S94HXG

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is nothing about a drive like this, at least on the surface, that would cause an external drive that is Win 8 compatible not be 10 compatible. I've heard of very little if any difference in drivers between the 2, and other then Backup, everything works perfectly. There are also rumors out there about these WDC drives having mysterious problems with Backup. Also, oddly enough I see nothing on the WDC web site about Windows 10 compatibility for any product, sort of making it look like they don't know it exists.

The perm issue is interesting; any perms in particular that should be checked?

jwoods
    WD does indicate which My Book external drives are Windows 10 compatible...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...px?id=870#Tab3

I have an external drive that is shared on the LAN, so SYSTEM, Administrators, and a couple of individual users have full permissions. The Users account has Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read permissions.

I would also check that your AV software is not interfering.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is the 4TB and is on the list of Win 10 compatible - thanks for pointing me to that list! I'll check the perms over the weekend. The AV is Microsoft's Defender, but hey, who knows!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with a 4TB Seagate. Partition the drive to a 2 times 2T partition and it will probably work fine. There is something about these super large, greater than 2T drives that they don't always work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update on my situation; updating to 1511 pretty much blew up my Win 10 installation. I had to reinstall 10, then 1511 on top, and as painful as that was, when done Backup was working normally as well as the Bluetooth setup that had never worked. So my WD external is working very nicely now!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We knew Windows 10 was good, not!

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually like Windows Backup, the traditional tool for backup and restore. It still exists in Windows 10, and I was able to get it to do an image of my system.
    That's good news.

The second part of having effective backups is being able to restore from them. Did you ever try that ?

I ask because when you need to restore is a bad time to discover that you can't !

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The backups appear viable, and 3 PC's feel faster and smoother running 10 versus 7; however, startup is not any faster.